Chuck Carswell (CF-L4) is a master coach, and this is never more evident than when you walk the floor with him while he is coaching. In this video, Chuck comments as he observes Santiago Callejas (CF-L3) teaching the press to a group of students. While the end result is a group of individuals who understand the basics of the press, the components involved in getting there are numerous and nuanced. Here are a few of the strategies Chuck calls out during this segment:
- Build rapport with a group of athletes.
- Organize athletes on the gym floor.
- Employ cross-circle cueing.
- Take various approaches to spot movement errors.
- Give athletes cues without overwhelming them with too much information.
- Spend time on movement progressions.
- Use PVC pipes to gauge how athletes will move with a loaded barbell.
Our approach to coach development includes pairing up coaches at all different levels so they can learn from each other in real time on the gym floor. This experiential learning is the foundation of our Level 2 Certificate Course. And, by modeling this focus on growth to our athletes, we also build better athletes who learn to take their own growth seriously.
Whether you’re a beginner or veteran coach, this video is a great reminder about coaching techniques that may have fallen from your practice.