COACHING THE AGING ATHLETE COURSE
CEU: 7 Units
The Coaching the Aging Athlete Course (formerly known as the CrossFit Masters course) presents practical methods for applying CrossFit to an aging population, taking into account how age, fitness, goals, and injury state interact to create different coaching challenges and scenarios.
The purpose of this certificate course is to learn specific methods for teaching CrossFit to adults 40 years of age and beyond.
The participant will learn to:
- Assess and coach athletes, taking into consideration the interplay of age, fitness, goals, and injury factors.
- Understand the effects of aging — specifically the difference between sedentary and active aging and the impact of each on life outcomes.
- Understand the risk factors of aging in a CrossFit context and how to mitigate them.
- Understand the aging athlete mindset and the associated impact on training effectiveness.
- Implement a program specifically tailored to meet the needs of aging athletes within an affiliate.
- Program effectively for the aging athlete with particular focus on the deconditioned client seeking to improve wellness and health.
- Adapt the CrossFit program for typical aging athlete scenarios using effective scaling and substitution strategies.
Participants will be provided with a downloadable Training Guide for reference and future study.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants with a current CrossFit trainer credential (CF-L1 or higher) will receive a Coaching the Aging Athlete Trainer Certificate. Participants without a current CrossFit trainer credential will receive a certificate of completion (available at the bottom of this page). A Certified CrossFit Trainer will receive seven CEUs toward maintaining the CCFT (CF-L3) credential.
This course can be completed in multiple sessions. However, it is recommended that you complete a full module before exiting the course, as work on partially completed modules will not be saved.
The following courses are recommended but not required:
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer (CF-L1) credential or higher,
- Online Scaling Course