Skip to Content

5 rounds for time of:

21 dumbbell thrusters
15 burpees, touching target 6 inches above reach

♀ 30-lb. DBs ♂ 45-lb. DBs

Post time to comments.

The Dumbbell Thruster

This 2015 trial used Womens’ Health Study data and a consideration of three alternative lipid biomarkers to demonstrate that LDL cholesterol markers significantly under- or overestimate heart disease risk in a meaningful segment of the population. Specifically, in individuals with low levels of insulin resistance — such as those following a low-carb diet alongside regular exercise — high LDL-C levels may not indicate elevated heart disease risk. Conversely, insulin-resistant individuals with low LDL-C levels may still be at a high risk of heart disease.

Read MoreDiscordance of Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol with alternative LDL-related measures and future coronary events

Comments on WOD 190910

Comments 74

Sort By

Bryan RosenSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:32 am

Warm-up for 190910: GENERAL WARM-UP 2 rounds of: 500-meter row 10 hip extensions on a GHD 1x "Burgener Warm-up" with an empty barbell    3-5 reps of down & up    3-5 reps of dip, shrug, elbows high & outside    3-5 reps of muscle snatch 3-5 reps of snatch land    3-5 reps of overhead squat SPECIFIC WARM-UP Dumbbell thruster 3 rounds of progression, performing 5 reps of each: - Pausing front squats (3-sec in bottom of squat) - Pausing strict press (3-sec overhead) - Pausing thrusters (3-sec overhead) - Thrusters *Start by using light dumbbells on the first set, increase the weight slightly on the second, and use the intended workout weight on the third set. Burpee 10 scapular push-ups 10 push-ups 10 jumping air squats 10 burpees Practice 5 thrusters 5 burpees

Steven ThunanderSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:37 am

Globo scale-as rxed. Jump high if you don't have a target. Use the closest weight dumbbells if 45/30lb ones aren't available.

Chris SinagogaSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:41 am

Champions Club Scaling Notes: RANT: Just a Workout. Just a brutal, miserable, elegantly evil workout. Higher volume usually means it's difficult to keep intensity, and considering it's objectively the two least-favorite workouts in CrossFit, that makes resting even more likely. I SHOULD TRY THIS AS RX'D IF: I could do all the thrusters in a row every round if I really wanted to (I don't), and the jump touch doesn't throw off my rhythm or form GROUP VERSION: as is, just a few adjustments on the burpees: since the volume is high, I might use a tire or box to keep the firm good and the reps as rx'd. Secondly, I'll just use the ol' honor system and ask the peeps to jump higher than usual. INJURY VERSION: Upper-body injury - 21 one-arm thrusters, 21 high(ish) box jumps, 5 rounds Middle-body injury - push press for thrusters, box burpees Lower-body injury - push/strict press for thrusters, bike sub for burpees WARMUP: Kipping handstand push-up - upside down thruster Squat - thruster prep Kb swing - core to extremity prep Jump rope - always Pull-up - spend some time hanging GENERAL FEAR LEVEL: 7. If you scale right/decide to really push yourself this could be an 8.

Juan AcevedoSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:43 am

INTENDED STIMULUS Burpees and thrusters is a fantastic combination. Or it is awful; it depends on who you ask, and at what time you ask. This workout is a longer effort (~15 min) that will test your grit as much as your physical capacity. Choose a weight for the dumbbells you are confident you could do 21+ thrusters unbroken when fresh. Test during your warm-up sets, dumbbell weights can be deceiving. On the burpees, scale the number of reps or the range of motion to guarantee that you can keep moving here during the whole five rounds. Keep in mind that part of the purpose of having a target is to make sure you are fully extending your body at the top. Flat body at the bottom, flat body at the top, that's a burpee. So even if you don't have 6-inch target make sure to extend legs, hips, and arms at the top of each rep. This is the kind of workout we crossfitters love to hate, but it is also the workout that makes us different, that makes better. Fight hard, push hard, keep grinding! OPTION 1 5 rounds for time of: 21 dumbbell thrusters 15 burpees (no target) Load range: 25-lb. - 40-lb. DBs OPTION 2 5 rounds for time of: 18 dumbbell thrusters 12 burpees (no target) Load range: 20-lb. - 35-lb. DBs OPTION 3 5 rounds for time of: 15 dumbbell thrusters 12 burpees to a box Load range: 15-lb. - 25-lb. DBs

John KeenanSeptember 10th, 2019 at 2:42 pm

5RFT 12 D/B Thrusters @ 25# 9 Burpees 19:49 Juan, I wanted to thank you for clearly articulating the "intended stimulus" every day. I'd been following main site WODs (with some breaks) since November 2005. I recently returned to these WODs in February (combined with the app). In the past, I'd been constantly in what I'll call the "chipper zone"; I viewed all workouts as RX'd and just kept chugging along until completion. Often those RFT, AMRAP in X time, etc would end up being somewhat of a disappointment; I wear a Polar heart rate monitor and essentially stayed in "zone 4" throughout the workout. Often this would result in completion at times 3-4 times longer that what I imagine would have been your "intended stimulus". For the past month, I've been tracking your "intended stimulus". I've been scaling at or near your recommendations (I usually use the scales in BTWB). I haven't made it past the beginner level WODs in the app, yet. However, I've seen a number of positive changes now that I'm actually scaling to achieve the "intended stimulus". First, I complete the WODs per the scaled RX in a time commensurate with your intended stimulus (usually +1%-25% additional time). Second, I observed a three point jump in my estimated VO2 max (as measured in the Polar fit test). Third, I'm seeing gradual increases in both my load bearing capacity and my work capacity. Fourth, my mental stamina for the work has really jumped. In my old model for completion, I'd work until I tired, break until mostly recovered, then start again. Now I try to gain and maintain an appropriate level of work through the "intended stimulus" period. It took me 1:48 to get to maximal effort (zone 5, per HRM) and I stayed there for all but 18 seconds of the remaining time in my 19:49 minutes of work.

Juan AcevedoSeptember 10th, 2019 at 8:18 pm

John! Thank you so much for your message. It means the world to me. We often think of scaling as doing less work. I believe if you scale right you end up doing more work and better. I think you are seeing the same I see. THANKS SO MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW!!! THIS IS SO SO SO GREAT!!!

Brendan MullanSeptember 10th, 2019 at 6:03 am

Scaled to 15kg db 17.03 min 👍

Robert FlemingSeptember 10th, 2019 at 9:17 am

16:44 w/20#db

Mike GuttoSeptember 10th, 2019 at 9:46 am

17min24sec with 25# dbell

Tim DarcySeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:29 am

25:42 35lbs

Mike AndridgeSeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:44 am

Scaled to 15# db's 22:13 that was an appropriate scale for me---it sucked. m/49/175

Claire Fiddian-GreenSeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:47 am

Scaled to pair 25 lb. dumbbells. All else Rx. Completed 18:34. 🤢

Todd AbrahamSeptember 10th, 2019 at 11:31 am

12 kg x 2 kettle bells for 3 rounds, 15 burpees for 3 rounds, 20 minutes. Whew, evil workout!

Sebastien FitzpatrickSeptember 10th, 2019 at 11:49 am

22:49 Rx Kept a consistent pace of 9/7/5 thrusters, and 6/5/4 burpees.

Matt ZeroSeptember 10th, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Rx’d - 15:51

Jim RixSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Wow. Great job.

Eric O'ConnorSeptember 10th, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Yikes, this looks uncomfortable to say the least! I think some good times will be under 15:00 or so. Here are some thoughts on scaling this sucker: Thrusters- The overall volume is high and I consider the prescribed weight to relatively light to moderate. I’ll coach my athletes to use loads that allow them to complete at least the the first round unbroken, and the remaining rounds with only 1-2 short rest breaks. I will have athletes reduce reps, as well as the load, if the volume is too high. If you are following the programming a few days/weeks behind, I would also look to see what tomorrow’s workout is and let that help guide the scaling. For example, if tomorrow’s workout involves light and high-rep squatting, I might actually use some heavier than usual dumbbells and reduce the reps, instead of reducing the load and keeping the reps high. Burpees to a 6” target: The overall volume of burpees isn’t crazy, but the fatigue in the shoulders and legs from the thrusters will make these reps very difficult. I will look to make sure that my athletes are completing the reps without significant rest breaks. I will have most of my experienced athletes do this as prescribed, touching hands to a pull-up bar, ring, or wall marking that is 6” above reach. I will have most newer athletes reduce the reps and height of the jump as needed to maintain consistency of reps. Here are some potential scaling options Option 1: For those that have plenty of experience but the load is too demanding for the number of reps to be completed: 5 Rounds 21 Dumbbell thrusters (35lbs/20lbs) 15 Burpees to a 6” target If tomorrow’s workout involves light and high-rep squatting, I may scale this athlete to something like: 5 Rounds 12-15 Thrusters (45lbs/30lbs) 15 Burpees to a 6” target Option 2: For those that are newer or where the overall volume is too high. I potential option may be: 5 Rounds for time of: 10-15 Thrusters (light load) 10 Burpees to a low (or no) target

Viktor WachtlerSeptember 10th, 2019 at 12:32 pm

23:35 scaled to 15kg dumbells. 43/1.78m/75kg

John ClarkeSeptember 10th, 2019 at 12:57 pm

11:52 - 20lb dumbbells

Garrett WestlingSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Scaled to Option 3 of @dotcomscaled 5 Rounds for time: 18 Thrusters 12 Burpees 20# DB Time: 11:26 Notes: I added another round at the end of the 5 to try to match the average time of the RX’d workout, so that probably put me around 14 minutes. Couldn’t do the full thruster warm up at 25# DB so decided to go with 20#. Next time should probably do either 25# with same rounds and reps or up the reps with same weight.

Jim RixSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:36 pm

With a 20 and 5# DB in each hand 18:43 Brutal, HQ. Thanks. But the day before what I hope is an appropriately programmed 9/11 workout? Ugh.

Greg FairbanksSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:37 pm

30# dbs 5 rds 15 thrusters 10 burpees 16:40

Hendrik BünzenSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:40 pm

25:22 rx’d Maybe we should discuss the difference between men‘s and women‘s weight.

Daniel ShepardSeptember 10th, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Deadlift@ 275×4 1x15 @205 Metcon: 15min 30lb db

Steven OdomSeptember 10th, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Rx’ed =16:38 Dumbbell thrusters killed me. Strength checked in today, endurance is MIA.

Steven OdomSeptember 10th, 2019 at 2:20 pm

I have also come to really dislike the dumbbells I use. The weighted portion is too large in diameter, and makes it challenging to rest on my shoulder. Therefore all of my thrusters rested on nothing but my palm today.

Stacey ThompkinsSeptember 10th, 2019 at 2:35 pm

M/44/6'2"/180# Back in the mix after deload week... Women's rx'd 16:53

Michael ArkoSeptember 10th, 2019 at 2:58 pm

31-lbs dumbbells 21:26

lucas MascoloSeptember 10th, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Hi. What would be a good warm up for this WOD for a beginner?

Vincent DahlqvistSeptember 10th, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Look at Juan Acevedo as I have done sime weeks ago. I think he is spot on for warm up approach

Steve DaySeptember 10th, 2019 at 4:11 pm

18:38 30lb db thrusters

Jon WilsonSeptember 10th, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Rx 31:57

Vincent DahlqvistSeptember 10th, 2019 at 5:09 pm

3 rounds Rx 12:50

Amy GSeptember 10th, 2019 at 5:14 pm

I am brand new to CrossFit workouts and am not super strong/have a lot of learning to do. I scaled to Juan’s option 3 (thank you these mods help a lot). 13:17 15 thrusters 12# DB 12 burpee no target My form needs work

Garrett BastianelliSeptember 10th, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Scaled to 35lb DBs 14:49 That was miserable. Should have gone faster though

Roux NelsonSeptember 10th, 2019 at 5:51 pm

23:36, scaled to 25# DB, burpee height as RX.

Jessica BoggessSeptember 10th, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Time 22:02. Weight 30lb DB. Broke 21 reps into three rounds of 7 with a 20-25 second break in between.

Robbie SouthardsSeptember 10th, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Open 2019/2020 workout? With part of the goal of having people to follow the mainsite programming, this workout would make some sense; it has clear standards, easy to judge, hits movements that are challenging, is a couplet, medium time domain, globally scalable. Also, what are we suppose to call the new open workouts titled? (19.1/19.2 or 20.1/20.2)

Jade TeasdaleSeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:26 pm

Didn’t think 🤔 of that. 19.1 Part 2! 😂

Dmitry ZolotyhSeptember 10th, 2019 at 7:42 pm

17:38. Scaled: 5 rounds for time of: 15 kettlebell thrusters, 16 kg 12 burpees, touching target 6 inches above reach

Jacob McGeeSeptember 10th, 2019 at 7:44 pm

I set a time cap at 15min Used 35lb for dumbells 4rds

Nicole DeaverSeptember 10th, 2019 at 8:01 pm

13:48 Reps Rx, Thrusters scaled to 20# DBs- My joints feel really achy today for some reason so didn’t want to go heavy.

Coastie NickSeptember 10th, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Rx’d 23:45

J FSeptember 10th, 2019 at 8:30 pm

3 rounds only 21 DB thrusters @ 30 15 burpees 23:40

Shane AziziSeptember 10th, 2019 at 8:50 pm

26:46 Rx

Wesley EglintineSeptember 10th, 2019 at 9:01 pm

18:58 32.5 DB’s 5 rounds of 21 thrusters and 15 burpees. Love this workout!

Nicholas ScottSeptember 10th, 2019 at 9:03 pm

21:12

Jade TeasdaleSeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:23 pm

31:12 RX Broke my toe this morning. Used one leg on the burpee PUs. During my WOD I had to stop to kill a wasp and 4 flys! Something stung me on the back of the leg. Maybe the wasp! 😡 Then, (on the jumping burpees) my hand caught my Bluetooth earbuds and ripped them off so forcefully they broke! :( My Great Sensos. 😩 Afterwards, being frustrated I missed my aimed goal of 25 minutes I went for a swim! Lost my favorite earrings! 😂 I hope my car doesn’t break down on my way home from work.

Troy BruunSeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:24 pm

13:11 25lb DB Thrusters

Marlies SeverynSeptember 10th, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Subbed for 20# DB and glad I did. Burpees to 6" target. 16:21. Elegantly vicious is right. Thrusters broken into 7/7/7, burpees ended up at 5/5/5 by the 3rd round. I'd like to see how fast a games level athlete can get er done in.

Richard MludiSeptember 10th, 2019 at 11:39 pm

19:13 It was hard stuff

Tripp StarlingSeptember 11th, 2019 at 12:10 am

Nowhere to hide on that one! 5 RFT: 21 dumbbell thrusters @ 35#s (to medball) 15 burpees to target (high ring) 20:22

Jadon KempersSeptember 11th, 2019 at 12:24 am

19:00

Js SmithSeptember 11th, 2019 at 1:13 am

Got some 35# plates yesterday so I can run 2 bars easier. Couldn’t find a cart or help so farmer carried from back of store to register, out to car then upstairs to apartment. Wasn’t sure if I could pull that off but wanted to give it a shot. Feeling little stiff but not bad. Still catching up on sleep from last week’s work trip so rest day for me.

Scott WiedmeyerSeptember 11th, 2019 at 2:37 am

33 / M / 5'9" / 137lbs 4 rounds: 25lb dumbbells thrusters x15 Burpees to 6" target x9 22:04

Kevin MarshallSeptember 11th, 2019 at 2:44 am

Rx 17:04

Richard KnottSeptember 11th, 2019 at 7:51 am

1st ever WOD. 33/M/84kg Scaled to: 3 rounds 15 dumbbell thrusters @ 14kg 10 burpees 18:59 Defo wanted to die at the time, but felt really good about 20 minutes later.

Mike LongSeptember 11th, 2019 at 10:53 am

I scaled the Rds to 3 with 50lbs db 19:58

Geoffroy CastelnauSeptember 11th, 2019 at 11:16 am

14:47 Scaled/subbed to : 15 DBs thrusters @9kg each DB / 12 burpees on bench M / 40yo / 176cm / 71kg

Alex PhamSeptember 11th, 2019 at 11:29 am

4 rounds 25 lb dumbbells

Alex PhamSeptember 11th, 2019 at 11:30 am

18:53

Michael BishopSeptember 11th, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Use 35 lb dumbbells glad I did Only did three rounds cuz I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm going to do the OHS WOD tonight 10:59

Lucas AllanSeptember 11th, 2019 at 6:25 pm

M/43 17:01 rx

Gordon LeeSeptember 11th, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Scaled to 25lbs db 3 rft 21 thrusters 15 burpee 20:07

Chase HilandSeptember 11th, 2019 at 8:25 pm

M/34/5’10”/190 Rx’d 27:46 Realized I should have scaled after round 3. But I finished the WOD. Shoulder and hip mobility probably cost me a little.

Byron HillsSeptember 12th, 2019 at 2:58 am

Scaled to 35# DBs 32:29 Rounds of 9-7-5 & 7-5-3 reps

Ruthie LloydSeptember 12th, 2019 at 12:23 pm

F/49/5'6"/145 scaled to 15 thrusters, 20#DB & 10 burpees to 6" target 16:15

Jeffrey HowardSeptember 12th, 2019 at 2:01 pm

4 rounds, 35#DB Thruster, 6"Target Burpees - 12:06

Nathaniel RobichaudSeptember 12th, 2019 at 3:03 pm

20:05 Rx Definitely shouldn't have done the first round of thrusters unbroken: no arms left for the rest of the workout! Did: 21, 15 12-9, 15 7-7-7, 15 7-7-7, 8-7 7-7-7, 5-10

Cory TreharnSeptember 13th, 2019 at 5:22 pm

20:18 - Scaled to 25# dumbbells

Mark LawrenceSeptember 14th, 2019 at 1:41 am

Woooooo buddy, first day back from a few days of sickness. Thrusters @25 27:13

Christopher VoghtSeptember 14th, 2019 at 2:24 pm

5 rounds for time of: 21 dumbbell thrusters 15 burpees, touching target 6 inches above reach Scaled ♂ 35-lb. DBs 19:50

Kyle BuchananSeptember 17th, 2019 at 9:27 am

14:56 scaled to: 15kg dumbbells (33lb) standard burpees heaviest dumbbells I have at home + was doing burpees outside on grass so no target. great workout:)