Skip to Content

30 muscle-ups
30 snatches

♀ 95 lb.
♂ 135 lb.

Post time to comments.

The Power Snatch

Statins inhibit the synthesis of cholesterol and decrease levels of low-density lipoproteins, which many believe are atherogenic. Since their development in 1987, statins have become the single most prescribed class of drugs in medicine, and well over 100 million people worldwide take them daily. Here, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick discusses some of the controversies surrounding the popular drugs and explains the evidence that suggests their benefits may be overstated and their adverse effects significantly underestimated.

Read MoreA Review of Statin Therapy

Comments on WOD undefined

Comments

Chris SinagogaAugust 7th, 2019 at 12:05 am

Champions Club Scaling Notes

RANT:

Usually I like to treat “for time” workouts as a sprint. This would fall under that category. Muscle-ups are a sprint for almost nobody, so I would do burpees as a sub and practice muscle-up stuff during the warmup. The tricky thing here, though, is all three movements are high-skill — at least in terms on the stuff we do in the weight room. In order, I’d rank the difficulty 1. Burpees, 2. Clean and jerks, 3. Snatches. Since we want to go fast, I might overlook mistakes on timing and focus on position. For instance, I’d rather have someone pull with their arms on a hang snatch and keep their arches in their feet than the other way around(lose the arches but have good timing). All depends on your purpose though.

I SHOULD TRY THIS RX’D IF: I was in the final heat at the Games

GROUP VERSION:

For time:

30 clean and jerks

30 burpees

30 snatches

FIRST TIME/PART-TIME VERSION: sub kettlebell swings for c&j and sub push press for snatches. Add reps to those if needed. This gives you a chance to go faster than they could if they aren’t too familiar with the c&j and snatches.

INJURY VERSION:

Upper-body injury — for time: 30 push press (one-arm), 400m sprint, 30 one-arm kb swings

Middle-body injury — part-time version, just with the 400m run instead (or bike/row)

Lower-body injury — sprint workouts are tough in this category. Try amrap in 15 of: 10 kipping pull-ups, :30 handstand, 10 GHD sit-ups (slow)

WARMUP:

Dips — muscle-up practice

Kipping pull-up — muscle-up prep

Box jump — landing prep

Jump rope — always

Handstand — overhead prep

GENERAL FEAR LEVEL (1=REST DAY, 10=PR-DRIVEN FGB): 8. With burpees as a sub and at Just Light Enough Not To Set It Down Yet weight this will be very, very unpleasant.

Basem ElAdawyAugust 7th, 2019 at 7:30 am

The "I SHOULD TRY THIS RX’D IF: I was in the final heat at the Games" line had me in stitches.

What do you think about burpee pullups (or even burpee muscleups) sub for muscleups ?

Chris SinagogaAugust 8th, 2019 at 12:06 am

Um... now that you mention it, might not be a bad idea... actually a really cool idea. Test it out and let me know how it goes. I might test it out soon too.

Steven ThunanderAugust 7th, 2019 at 12:52 am

Globo scale: 2 girls and a benchmark mixed in, the Standard workout.

If you do not have a barbell sub 30 50lb double dumbbell clean and jerks and 60 alternating dumbbell snatches, 50lb. Sub for muscleups are 2/1 chest to bar pullups and 3/1 bar dips or 2/1 weighted bar dips, 20lb db.

Sanctionals: pro, as rxed divisions as rxed. Teams use team version. (The trio/see note below). Intermediate: either cut the muscleups to 15 in the sandwich, or move them to the end of the workout with the cap; tiebreak is last snatch. Scaled: 115/75 lbs, 20 jumping muscleups in the sandwich or 10 muscleups as the end, tiebreak is time of last snatch. Beginner 95/65 lbs, burpees over bar. Time cap 12 min for individual, 25 min for teams of 4. Teams of 3 would multiply the reps accordingly (90/90/90, then scaled per division standards, MU's at the end except for pro/rx+), 25 minute cap.

Juan AcevedoAugust 7th, 2019 at 1:16 am

Workout name: THE STANDARD

INTENDED STIMULUS

Hell yeah! As soon as it was announced this workout became an instant benchmark. However don't dismiss the cynicism of the name. Being able to do this as prescribed under 12:00 is the standard only for top ten Games Athletes, that is how fit they are. It is a beautiful thing but also not the standard for most of us. Let's move past that today and try to stay true to the stimulus we are looking for. What we want out of this is to adjust loads, reps, and difficulty to a place where you can complete each of the three parts in between 3 and 4 minutes. That is a fast pace: 8-10 repetitions per minute! This workout is an awful/delicious mix of stamina, skill, and Fran cough: OUCH! Also take into account that after 30 fast clean and jerks your heart rate will go super high and your shoulders will be toasted, which makes these muscle-ups very challenging. Scale appropriately.

That said ... chill! Today, imagine you are rowing: keep your stroke rate constant, your form tight and you will get to other side like a Boss.

Note: Fraser and Toomey were working at ~35% of their clean max. Use this as a guideline.

OPTION 1

â–¶ Good for athletes with RX Grace and RX Isabel between 3:00 and 4:00.

â–¶ Workload reduction of about 25%.

For time:

30 clean and jerks

21 muscle-ups

30 snatches

♀ 65 lb.

♂‚ 95 lb.

OPTION 2

â–¶ Workload reduction of about 50%.

For time:

30 clean and jerks

then

6 rounds

5 rings kip swings

5 muscle up transition feet on ground

then

30 snatches

♀ 45 lb.

♂‚ 65 lb.

OPTION 3

â–¶ Workload reduction of about 75%.

For time:

10 jumping air squats

SPECIFIC WARM-UP

Muscle-up

Perform 5 reps at each step of the progression:

- False grip ring rows

- 10-second ring support + ring dip negative

- Low-ring hip to ring drill

- Low-ring muscle-up transition with feet under body + dip

- High ring muscle-ups

Clean and Jerk

Perform all steps of progression with an empty barbell:

5 dip and drive

5 high hang muscle cleans

5 high hang power cleans

5 power cleans

5 reps - jump, punch, and land (no barbell)

10 reps - push jerk

Snatch

Perform all steps of progression with an empty barbell:

5 snatch-width grip deadlifts + shrug

5 muscle snatch

5 power snatch

Build up

Complete 3 sets of 4 clean and jerk + 4 snatch, increasing in weight each set.

*After each set, perform 2 reps of intended muscle-up progression

Edisson SamaniegoAugust 7th, 2019 at 10:57 am

Gracias

Robert FlemingAugust 7th, 2019 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the warm ups

Eric O'ConnorAugust 7th, 2019 at 2:40 am

I was hoping that we would see this workout pop-up! As we saw this past weekend, faster times will be under 10:00…..which seems insane to me. A good goal, for us “normal” folk, is to shoot for sub 15 minutes. For most people, the muscle-ups seem to be the most time consuming out of the 3 sections. For this reason, it might be advantageous to pace the 30 clean and jerks so that premature muscular failure can be avoided on the muscle-ups. When scaling this workout I will look to preserve the function of each movement, relative to the capacity of each athlete. Here are some thoughts:

Clean and Jerk- I consider this to be a moderate weight and a moderate volume. I will have athletes utilize loads that allow for at least consistent singles to be performed. I will also look for the 30 reps to be completed in no longer than 5:00. For new or de-conditioned athletes, I may reduce reps on an individual basis. This movement is technically demanding but is essentially all about getting the bar from the floor to an overhead position. I will attempt to preserve this function relativel to the capacity of my athletes. An example of a what one rep might look like for an athlete that lacks mechanics: deadlift + hang power clean + push press.

Muscle-ups- This is a relatively high-skill movement with a relatively high-volume of reps today. I think this is the first time all year that we have seen muscle-ups programmed without the “strict” designation. Due to the nature of the movement, as well as the increased demand when being performed after the clean and jerks, I know that there will be a large portion of my athletes that will need to scale.

The first option will be to simply reduce the reps. I will likely do this for athletes that have capacity for muscle-ups, but 30 reps will take longer than 8:00-9:00. Even completing 15 reps, for this workout, will be adequate for many athletes.

For those that cannot perform muscle-ups, the main movement modification will be to be perform a muscle-up movement from low rings. A good variation is to have athletes keep their feet on the ground and straighten their legs, with the feet in front of the rings, before completing the muscle-up. The further the feet are away from the rings, the harder the movement will be. This movement seems easy at first glance, but, when performed in a controlled fashion, it can provide a pretty significant challenge. The difficulty, of this movement, can be further increased by elevating the feet on a box. To further decrease the difficulty of the movement, I can have athletes start with bent legs and utilize lower body assistance throughout the entire range of motion.

Snatch- I consider the prescribed weight to be moderate and will be very difficult after the clean and jerks/muscle-ups. If I scaled the clean and jerks correctly, I may be able to have many of my athletes utilize the same weight for the snatches. However, I know that I will probably need to reduce the load further. I will look to use a load that allows for the 30 snatches to be completed in no more than 5:00-6:00.

Due to the snatch grip, some athletes may have difficulty maintaining a mechanically sound position on the initial pull from the floor. In this situation, or with any major deviation in first-pull mechanics, performing a hang power snatch is an acceptable alternative.

Anton GrossAugust 8th, 2019 at 1:52 am

Eric, for me, I only weigh about 135, I feel that my snatch is about. That. I will most likely do either Rx or maybe a little lighter C&J. MU as Rx as that is my least concern out of these three. I will definitely scale the snatch. Either 115 or maybe 105 but depends on how they feel. My snatch is my weakness. I can OHS over 175 and have done 15 at over BW a while ago but I have an issue snatching more than 115 comfortably. I do occasionally snatch DB and feel much more in control and explosive with DBs than a bar. I should probably work snatch balance more to replicate the pain suing and yelling myself under the bar I think. Regards and thanks for the ideas

Antonio IppolitoAugust 7th, 2019 at 7:50 am

I Love this ❤️

Edisson SamaniegoAugust 7th, 2019 at 10:57 am

Yeah!!!

Artak TonoyanAugust 7th, 2019 at 8:34 am

I have done it as prescribed and it took me 20 minutes on the dot. Finished Cindy at 4:17 and then 3 sets of 5 MU, I couldn't keep 5's till the end - which was the plan, so just finished with sets of 3's.

Then singles on Snatch.

Happy enough with my performance.

Sebastien FitzpatrickAugust 7th, 2019 at 10:23 am

31:17 Rx

I reserved my pace to keep consistent, and it may have been too much reservation. And for what it’s worth, I have torn thumbs.

Robert FlemingAugust 7th, 2019 at 11:27 am

14:11 @ #95 with pull-ups

Evan WaltonAugust 7th, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Clean and jerk Rxd

30 normal pullups

Snatch 95lbs

Rafael PachecoAugust 7th, 2019 at 6:31 pm

I did the same, no muscle up available ...

Karl EaglemanAugust 7th, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Cycling through muscle-ups on today's workout? This cue helped me immensely. I hope it helps you guys: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzSks9wgAO2/

Michael ArkoAugust 7th, 2019 at 2:24 pm

30 strict chair dips

30 strict tucked towel pull ups

30 kb snatches alternating 50 lbs

11:02

Nicole DeaverAugust 7th, 2019 at 4:24 pm

14:39

30 clean & jerks (75#)-(4:28-New Grace PR by almost 40sec)

30 pull-ups

30 Dips

30 snatches (65#)

C & J- about 70% of max-felt heavier

Snatch- about 80% of max

Matthew LetarteAugust 7th, 2019 at 4:49 pm

This was my first time doing a benchmark workout like this, scaled to 95#, did 30 C2B pull-ups and 60 dips instead of MU since I can't do MU without putting my head through the ceiling.

30 C&J ~5min

30 PU, 60 Dips ~6min

30 Snatch ~7min

19:12 total time

Did the lifts in unbroken sets of 5s, I could have gone harder, but a good workout for sure.

Bryan HowardAugust 7th, 2019 at 5:49 pm

21:52

30 C&J @ 135#

30 MU

30 power snatches @ 95#

Tom PerryAugust 7th, 2019 at 8:16 pm

170 / 58

Today marks my 13th anniversary of CrossFit. I still remember that first workout where I thought 'what am I doing?' Real glad I stuck it out.

As for today, scaled a lot with a hip and shoulder replacement.

30 C&Js at 80 pounds

60 Pull-ups and hand release push-ups (done is sets of 5 each)

30 Snatches at 60 pounds

16:27

Jim RixAugust 7th, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Happy anniversary Tom! I think tat definitely qualifies you as an CF OG! About 10 years for me...amazing how things have changed.

Mike AndridgeAugust 7th, 2019 at 10:56 pm

Troy BruunAugust 7th, 2019 at 11:05 pm

9:46

75lbs.

Scaled MU to box MU

Tripp StarlingAugust 7th, 2019 at 11:42 pm

Chill! 11:23 - 65# and 10 kipping mu

Went at this at 50% (65#). Made the reps very pretty and worked on smooth cycling touch and go. Returning the barbell to the ground got smooth. Starting to click. Been working on strict muscle ups and wanted to see how kip would go and did 10 pretty kipping muscle ups in between (singles).

Mark PhillipsAugust 7th, 2019 at 11:43 pm

I did 17 clean and jerks 135lb 13 pull ups 14 dips 5 snatches 45lb bar killed me I'm so weak

Edisson SamaniegoAugust 8th, 2019 at 2:33 am

Tiempo 28:51

peso para los levantamientos 115 libras

muscle ups en la barra

Phill KiddooAugust 8th, 2019 at 2:47 am

18:48 rxd

Jim RixAugust 8th, 2019 at 3:37 am

Subbed and scaled to:

30 power clean and jerks, 85#, in about 3:07

30 burpees, in about 5:27

30 power snatches, 75#

9:29

Great workout...shoulda gone 95# and 80#.

Agnese SkrastinaAugust 8th, 2019 at 7:18 am

22:10

42/1.78m/76kg

Matt ZeroAugust 8th, 2019 at 9:18 pm

19:00

Snatched scaled to 115lbs

Brandon JenningsAugust 8th, 2019 at 10:58 pm

21:14 with strict HSPU instead of muscle-ups (don't have a rig for muscle-ups). Good workout.

Steve DayAugust 9th, 2019 at 12:45 am

Scaled

C&J 95lbs

Baby muscle ups

Snatch 75lbs

12:22

Stefan SchurichtAugust 10th, 2019 at 1:49 pm

30 c+j

30 bar muscle ups

30 power snatches

scaled to 40kg

16:48

Claire Fiddian-GreenAugust 10th, 2019 at 2:46 pm

17:50. Grace Rx at 95 lb. in 5:49 (PR), 30 baby ring muscle ups with jump up to full arm extension, 30 power snatches at 70 lb.

Dave DeCosteAugust 10th, 2019 at 4:06 pm

14:39

John CampionAugust 28th, 2019 at 12:20 pm

95# squats cj and snatches

20:20

Jeff ChalfantAugust 28th, 2019 at 10:28 pm

12:27 for Juan’s option 1

2:44 for 30 c and j at 95lb. (5 reps sets)

To 9:27 for 21 muscleups

3:00 more for 30 snatches at 95lbs (singles)

Feeling good tired and definitely uninjured after yesterday’s first ever weighted pack run.

40/69.5”/185

Clint MichaelAugust 30th, 2019 at 3:54 am

40:31

Used bar muscle-ups

Cy AziziAugust 31st, 2019 at 12:41 am

115# 37:05

Chase HilandSeptember 10th, 2019 at 9:22 pm

M/34/5'10"/190

Scaled to 115 lbs. and 21 muscle-ups

15:55

Shane AziziSeptember 25th, 2019 at 11:12 pm

26:58 Rx

Kury AkinOctober 27th, 2019 at 2:22 pm

9:35. 3R @ 35kg of 10 power clean press, 10 burpees, 10 power snatch. Sore knee after yesterday's run.