Skip to Content

Tuesday

Workout of the day

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

5 strict L pull-ups
10 ring dips
15 single-leg squats

Post rounds completed to comments.

The Ring Dip

This brief 2013 review summarizes two studies investigating the metabolic impact of fructose overconsumption, placing them in the broader context of the scientific literature. The authors note that “diets high in fructose could cause excess fat accumulation in the liver, leading to ... fatty liver disease, steatohepatitis and, ultimately, cirrhosis. Liver fat could also be released into the circulation and taken up by fat cells in other tissues, resulting in obesity. Furthermore, the circulating fat could accelerate the onset of cardiovascular disease, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. So fructose over-consumption may be at the heart of metabolic syndrome, which has also been linked to poor outcome of a wide range of cancers.”

Read MoreF stands for fructose and fat

Comments on WOD 190423

Comments 77

Sort By

Steven ThunanderApril 23rd, 2019 at 12:33 am

Globo scale: if doing this on dio bars, do 2/1 reps unweighted or add a 20/15lb dumbbell. You can also do TRX dips. All else RXed.

Steven ThunanderApril 23rd, 2019 at 12:33 am

Dip bars...

Coastie NickApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:48 pm

I like Dio bars! 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Sebastian ChiribogaApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:20 am

The demo video shows a strict ring dip, but the wod says "ring dip" (no specification on it being strict). Any thoughts on how should we do it?

Eric O'ConnorApril 23rd, 2019 at 2:54 am

This looks a lot like Cindy, but the more difficult movements will require a bit more strength and skill demand. I think that 10+ rounds is achievable, with a good goal for many being to complete 6+ rounds. Here are some thoughts on scaling this workout: Strict L Pull-ups: The intended volume of reps accumulated for this movement is relatively high. Many of my athletes will need to modify this movement in order to maintain consistency and its strict nature. As a general guideline, if I have an athlete that does not have the capacity to complete 7-10 reps consecutively, I will most likely reduce the reps. Beyond reducing the reps, I may have these athletes modify the movement to a tuck L pull-up or an L pull-up with one leg tucked and the other leg extended. For athletes that cannot perform an L pull-up, they will modify the movement to either a band-assisted L pull-up or a combination of band-assisted strict pull-ups with a 10-second L-hang variation after completion of the set. Further scaling will be done on an individual basis. Ring Dip: Many of my athletes will need to modify this movement or reduce reps to keep the quality high and the range of motion legit. I will reduce reps for athletes that can perform dips but the volume is too demanding. For athletes that cannot perform dips, I will provide two main movement modifications for the day: option 1 will be a band-assisted dip variation, and option 2 will be to perform ring dips with legs straight and feet on the floor in front of the body. Easier modifications, such as a jumping dip or a box dip, as well as reducing reps, will be used on an individual basis. Single-leg Squat: Like the other movements, I expect a relatively high volume of reps to accumulate. Due to the volume and the demands of this movement, many of my athletes will need to scale. For athletes that can perform single-leg squats, but the volume is too demanding, I will reduce reps and/or perform the single-leg squats to a low target. For athletes that cannot perform full range of motion single-leg squats, I will modify the movement to some sort of single-leg movement, per the athlete’s capacity. This could be simply elevating the heel or squatting to a target, while keeping the hips above parallel to the knee. Other options could be to perform single-leg squats on top of a box and potentially tapping the heel or toes to the floor on the descent. For those that cannot maintain balance on the working leg, a bulgarian split squat or a reverse lunge could be great options.

Brett FfordeApril 23rd, 2019 at 11:14 pm

Cindy, Mary... Olivia? This is a great variation!

Juan AcevedoApril 23rd, 2019 at 3:02 am

Intended Stimulus . This is Cindy's nerdier, more sophisticated, evil cousin. This is a high-skill, high-stamina piece. Now, even though you will be working at higher skills, let's try to approach it as we would approach Cindy. This means, we want to be moving continuously. We want to position ourselves so that we can actually push the pace in the second half of the workout. Today is a good workout to learn something very valuable: we can have both high skill and intensity. We might need to scale the number of reps or the movements to get both, and that is fine, that is what scaling is for. Choose your modifications so that you match the number of rounds (not reps) you scored in the recent regular Cindy. That will guarantee we are moving at good pace and still getting the sophistication of the evil cousin. Let's get fancy today!🔷💍💎 Option 1 Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of: 3 strict L pull-ups 6 ring dips 9 single-leg squats Option 2 Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of: 5 strict banded L pull-ups 10 toenail dips 15 toenail single leg squats

Chris SinagogaApril 23rd, 2019 at 4:41 am

Champions Club Scaling Notes RANT: “Chris you know what I think about symmetry”- Mama V, 10-year member at my gym and hippie lady. The only real note I have for this one is that we always strive for symmetry with our strength and range of motion. But in real life, there will always be imbalances (hence right-handed people vs. left handed people). One leg might do three more lunges than the other. We’ll live. I SHOULD TRY THIS RX’D IF: I can do one round unbroken for each movement ORGANIC SCALES: Strength — slow down the movements — especially dips Stamina — double reps Endurance — add kipping to dips and l-pull-ups and use rolling pistols is regular one is not immaculate Flexibility — chest-to-bar, really low on dip/pistol, and hang out at end ranges NEUROLOGICAL SCALES: Coordination — midline emphasis on first two movements — don’t let the spine budge Accuracy — the L-position on the pull-up can sometimes look like a lower-case “j,” so be picky on that Agility — alternate pistols as fluidly as possible Balance — if subs need to be made for pistols/dips, stay on one leg/rings if at all possible GROUP VERSION: I like to sub ring push-ups for ring dips over regular bar dips. But having two things that take up pull-up bar space is a tough one. Stations could help with this. Maybe something like 1:00 at each station for 7 rounds. WARMUP: Scale — pretty good prep for the pistol, I’d say Handstand — overhead prep Ring hold — prep for ring folks, exposure to the rings for those who won’t use them in the workout [insert thing you suck at] Jump rope - always GENERAL FEAR LEVEL (1=REST DAY, 10=PR-DRIVEN FGB): 4. Way more fun than Cindy, and not named like Mary so the desire to go fast decreases

carlos SegniniApril 23rd, 2019 at 6:03 am

M37, 76kg Let me start with the excuses: 1) I've been sick for a week, so no WO since Wednesday. 2) No rings in my gym 3, 4, 5) I can't do a pistol to save my life! Said this, I was able to complete 6 full + Pull ups and dips. I did dips on the parallel bars as low and strict as possible. And I subbed the pistols for Single leg squat to box (sitting on the way down, I know, kill me now!) Felt great though! Cheers

Jim RixApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Sounds like a good workout then!

David MitchellApril 23rd, 2019 at 7:48 am

M/32/78kg 13rds 5 reps RX Wow that one hurt, in a good way! Evil is right though...

Sebastien FitzpatrickApril 23rd, 2019 at 10:27 am

6rds + 15reps (195 total reps) Did strict ring dips.

Claire Fiddian-GreenApril 23rd, 2019 at 10:45 am

As luck would have it, I worked on strict dips, strict pull-ups and pistols yesterday. Today, I completed the CrossFit Linchpin WOD: Front Squats: 2, 3, 5, 10, 2, 3, 5, 10, all reps at the 10 rep load. I kept it light at 105 lbs.

Mike AndridgeApril 23rd, 2019 at 10:50 am

20 min amrap 5 strict L pull ups- 10 strit ring dips 15 alt sgl leg sqts using 20" box Left the ego at the door, L pull ups were toes pointed, almost all singles. I've been doing knee bent, so I decided it's time to stop hiding and get to work. Strict ring dips, no movement, feet a touch in front of body. I suck at pistols, all as controlled as best I could 4 rnds plus 5 pull ups/3 ring dips m/49/175

Dave DeCosteApril 23rd, 2019 at 11:06 am

9 rounds + 5 pull-ups + 9 dips 2.5 lb plate under heels for pistols

Matthew BennettApril 23rd, 2019 at 12:58 pm

9 Rounds Scaled to rounds of: 5 band assisted pull-ups 10 band assisted ring dips 15 bench assisted single leg squats

Randy LongApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:10 pm

6 rounds + 11 reps Did single-leg squats with a box assist otherwise Rx’d. L pull-ups were by far the easiest component for me.

Jim RixApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Scaled to h-pull-ups Pistols to an 18" high target (thigh above parallel) 9 rounds + 5 pu Completed 10th round in 21:15

Michael ArkoApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:39 pm

5 strict L pull-ups 10 assisted ring dips (feet on floor, pressing to fully extended off the floor) 15 assisted 1-leg squats, alternating (down to seated on 13" box) 9 rounds + 5 LPU + 6 Dips

Michael ArkoApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Ever since I messed up my shoulders, proper dips are almost unachievable. I was never great at them, but now I'm terrible.

Coastie NickApril 23rd, 2019 at 1:51 pm

10 rds + 17 reps Single legs squats to 16” folding chair

Patrick RoseApril 23rd, 2019 at 2:47 pm

M/31 6rds + 6 One Leg Squat - 201rpz

Hendrik BünzenApril 23rd, 2019 at 3:01 pm

8+9 rx’d

Darren WardApril 23rd, 2019 at 3:29 pm

8 rds 11 reps. Rx but used 14 " box for pistols.

Owen WebbApril 23rd, 2019 at 4:16 pm

6rnds

Nathan Michael KingApril 23rd, 2019 at 4:18 pm

10 + 11 Scaled Reps 3, 6, 9 Rx Movements Kipping Ring Dips!?!?!?!?! It didn't say strict?!?!?! So I kipped. Still tried to make them as pretty as James's though.

Nicole DeaverApril 23rd, 2019 at 4:31 pm

8 Rds + 5 pull-ups + 6 Dips AMRAP 20mins 5 strict L-sit pull-ups 20 dips (btwn stools-no rings) 15 pistols The pull-ups seemed to be the easiest part today. Pistols are getting better can get down to at least parallel now, & a little lower on the right leg.

John ClarkeApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:07 pm

AMRAP 20: 5 L Pullups 10 Bar Dips 15 pistols to 16in box 8 rounds + 23

Scott MacArthurApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:14 pm

8+5+10+6. Subbed 24” box step up for pistols.

Shane AziziApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:35 pm

5 rounds + 5 L-sit pull up. Rx

Brian RosenbaumApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:45 pm

M/57/6’2”/175 7 rounds exactly Pistols scaled to ~18” bench butt taps, otherwise RX’d

Brian RosenbaumApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:47 pm

15” bench.

Jeffrey HowardApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:48 pm

8+2, bar dips because no rings.

Josh NelsonApril 23rd, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Strict pull ups not L. 7 +2

Tom PerryApril 23rd, 2019 at 6:59 pm

57 / 168 Shoulder and hip replacement so I subbed hand release push-ups for the ring dips and single leg squats down to 16" bench. 12 rounds completed

Gordon LeeApril 23rd, 2019 at 7:03 pm

5 l-sit pull ups 10 strict dips on dip bar 15 one legged squats to 18" box 9 rounds plus 10 reps

Matthew BurrittApril 23rd, 2019 at 7:09 pm

M/42/5'4"/148lbs As Rx'd 13 rounds

Scott JacobsonApril 23rd, 2019 at 8:04 pm

5’8” / 164 lb / 20 / M 13 rd plus 5 pull-ups Subbed regular Dips cos no rings here

Phill KiddooApril 23rd, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Sub’d 5k run

Reymond KiddooApril 23rd, 2019 at 8:45 pm

5 rounds + 3 pull ups ( knee up)

Cliff HoeckerApril 23rd, 2019 at 9:13 pm

8.12 rds 5 strict L pull ups 10 strict ring dips 15 one leg sqts to 16” box M/6/190/51

Danny BostwickApril 23rd, 2019 at 9:18 pm

6+5 L pull-ups. Done as RX, but went slowly and deliberately. I’ve had a shoulder and knee injury from jiu jitsu in the past year and pistols and dips are still sketchy. The movements felt good, my right shoulder is still a little stiff, but all went well.

Tripp StarlingApril 23rd, 2019 at 10:50 pm

3 strict L pull-ups (alternated grip) 6 kipping ring dips 9 pistols to a 16" box 14 rounds + 2 reps

Stacey CarpenterApril 23rd, 2019 at 11:08 pm

5 Strict Box assisted pull ups 10 toe assisted Ring dips 15 alternating pistols finished 5 rds plus 3 pu

Matt ZeroApril 23rd, 2019 at 11:53 pm

5 Strict L Pull Ups 10 Standard Dips +20# DB 15 Pistols 13 Full Rounds + 5 L pull ups + 8 weighted dips Then 100 sit ups Then 3x3 DL @ 285 29/M/165/5’8

Joel VandruffApril 24th, 2019 at 12:12 am

8 rounds plus 5 reps

Greg FairbanksApril 24th, 2019 at 1:06 am

Band assist pullups (25#) Dips (slight floor touch) Pistols (holding dip bars for sliiight assist) 6 rds + 4 pullups

Knox WilliamsApril 24th, 2019 at 1:24 am

12 rounds + 5 l-sit pull-ups + 10 dips Subbed ring dips with bar dips (no rings), and used a knee high box to help with the pistols

Jesse MontagninoApril 24th, 2019 at 1:38 am

To all the program haters... knock it off. Programming the focus on basics has vastly improved the fitness of all those adhering to mainsite. Case in point; nailed my 1st bar muscle up today. Hit a single 3 times, then strung together 5 in a row. Couldn't have been happier being fitter near 40 than I was as a 22 year old marine infantryman. Today's wod 7 rounds plus 5 l pull and 5 dips. 220 reps rx

Christopher VoghtApril 24th, 2019 at 1:52 am

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of: 5 strict L pull-ups 10 ring dips 15 single-leg squats Post rounds completed to comments. 7 + 12 = 222 Rx Had a glitch and it ended up posting on Wednesday’s wod, apologies.

Miyu IekiApril 24th, 2019 at 1:57 am

5 jumping-pull ups 5 Toes to bar 10 ring dips 15 single-leg squats with support 4 rounds 10 reps

Js SmithApril 24th, 2019 at 1:59 am

Still feeling little tired Scaled to 5 rounds (not timed) 5 ring rows 10 ring dips, feet on floor 15 pistol to 16” box

Krista CooperApril 24th, 2019 at 2:00 am

8 rds +5reps Rxd

Jake KiddooApril 24th, 2019 at 2:04 am

7plus 18 reps

Brian ContiApril 24th, 2019 at 2:21 am

7 rds Rx

Byron HillsApril 24th, 2019 at 2:38 am

4 rounds minus squats on last Was a killer Did bar dips after first round Broke squats into 3 sets of 5 each leg Did bent knee L pulls on last round

Mike ScottApril 24th, 2019 at 4:31 am

9 rds exactly - scaled to 3 L-pull (mixed grips), 6 kipping ring dips & 9 single-leg squats to 20" box w/ quick sit at bottom. First time doing this since knee surgery and feels much better.

Vincent DahlqvistApril 24th, 2019 at 5:34 am

8 rounds + 5 pull-ups, 10 dips Scaled version Tuck Pull-Ups, Bardips, assisted leg squats

Pavel StasApril 24th, 2019 at 1:08 pm

10 rinds + 4 single-leg squats Rx

Adam KingApril 24th, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Completed 2019-04-24 dips on bars, 1 leg squats to box 174 reps

Viktor WachtlerApril 24th, 2019 at 7:19 pm

6 rounds in 13:45 I ran out of time.

Elliott HardingApril 24th, 2019 at 11:08 pm

4 rounds. Orange band pullups. Focus on blades down before pull. Some sets broken, stay. Gray bar dips. Some sets broken, stay. Single leg squats to sit on 20 inch box. Alternated legs every five reps.

Regan WindsorApril 25th, 2019 at 1:09 am

F/44 8 rnds 5 assisted strict pull ups 10 assisted strict dips 15 pistols

Jeremy HoApril 25th, 2019 at 10:16 pm

8 rds, full set of pull ups and dip bars. Assisted single leg squats using a bench switching legs every 5 reps.

Kyle BuchananApril 27th, 2019 at 1:51 pm

8 rounds + 1 pull up rx

Cy AziziApril 27th, 2019 at 4:25 pm

4 + 16

Richard FosterApril 27th, 2019 at 11:16 pm

M48/170 Dotcomscaled 9 rnds 5 toe nail single leg squats Rnds of 3 l-sit pull up 6 ring dip 10 toe nail single leg squats

Clint MichaelApril 29th, 2019 at 9:30 pm

4 rounds plus 21 reps

John CampionMay 2nd, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Rx with string ring dips per the video 308 reps total (10+8)

John DoodyMay 4th, 2019 at 2:00 pm

10 rds + 5 L-Pull-ups in rd 11=305reps Rx’d

Jeff ChalfantMay 14th, 2019 at 9:23 pm

5 rounds plus 10 reps rx’d. L pull-ups strict and unbroken. Ring dips very strict except 1 rep I kipped a bit for lockout. Broken into 3-5 sets each round. Pistols alternating legs in street shoes.

Chris MeldrumMay 17th, 2019 at 9:44 pm

As rx'd, 10 rounds. Did the L pull-ups strict, but had to lower my legs between most reps. Did most sets unbroken. Broke ring dips mostly 6-4, 5-3-2 in later rounds. Pistols slow and steady. Aidan (7 y.o.) did this with me for the first 10 minutes, with assisted (lightest band) pull-ups, burpees, and air squats, and got 7 rounds in 10 minutes. He could have done the first round or two of pullups without a band, but then he would have burned out. We went with a light band to keep him fresh and moving well. We did burpees so I wouldn't have to watch his push-up form. He tried some pistols but doesn't quite have the balance (and maybe the strength) yet to do these. 46m/5'10"/180

Kevin MillerMay 22nd, 2019 at 1:18 pm

RX 6 Rounds + 13 Reps

Nate GordonMay 29th, 2019 at 6:49 pm

ring assisted single leg squats 10+11 reps

Kury AkinJune 1st, 2019 at 3:05 pm

6R+18r. L ring pulls strict and as L as poss. Ring dips werea little kippy backend. Alt pistols.

Kury AkinJune 1st, 2019 at 3:06 pm