Skip to Content

15 strict push-ups
5 strict L pull-ups
15 strict push-ups
Row 750 meters

Post time to comments.

The L Pull-Up

In this interview, Lewis Cantley, Director of the Cancer Center at Weill Cornell Medical College and discoverer of the phosphoinositide-3-kinase enzyme, discusses the links between diabetes and cancer's metabolic disturbances, the differences between fructose and glucose metabolization, and the brain’s response to sweeteners. Cantley concludes: “The consequence of people eating lots of sweeteners, no matter what they are—whether they’re natural or unnatural—is that it increases the addiction for the sweetness. As a consequence, at the end of the day, your brain says, 'OK, at some point I need some glucose here'. And then you eat an entire cake, because nobody can hold out in the end. The only way really to prevent this problem—to break the addiction—is to go completely cold turkey and go off all sweeteners—artificial as well as fructose. Eventually the brain resets itself and you don’t crave it as much.”

Read MoreCancer, metabolism, fructose, artificial sweeteners, and going cold turkey on sugar

Comments on WOD 190403

Comments 88

Sort By

Chris SinagogaApril 3rd, 2019 at 12:10 am

Champions Club Scaling Notes RANT: A long duration stamina piece coming at us today, part strength and part endurance. Use this to practice both. Why 750m? Who knows. Probably means we should be going a little harder than we normally would on a regular 1,000m row. That sucks, obviously, but a great challenge, seeing as slow L-movements and slow push-ups are really hard on breathing as it is. I can definitely understand those who wish pull-ups and push-ups weren’t in every workout, but it really is stuff that you can never get too good at. I SHOULD TRY THIS RX’D IF: I have a rower, I don’t have to break up the L-pull-ups, and push-ups can be done in 2 sets (3 in the last round maybe) SCALING THIS WELL WILL CAUSE ME TO: feel the juice in my arms and my lungs GROUP VERSION: 3 rounds, 10 Ricky Reps pull-ups, 30 push-ups, Run 800 meters. (Split up the push-ups and pull-ups however needed. You can bias the strength or endurance by spending more time on whichever one you want. WARMUP: Jump rope – always L-hang – if you can’t do l-pull-ups Pistol or squat – prep for rowing or running [insert thing you suck at] [insert thing you suck at] GENERAL FEAR LEVEL (1=REST DAY, 10=PR-DRIVEN FGB): 4. Depends on how fast you row/run

Juan AcevedoApril 3rd, 2019 at 12:28 am

Intended Stimulus . This is a longer effort today. The combination of strict gymnastics and rowing will guarantee you are working hard on that anaerobic system. The volume and rep scheme will guarantee you get your fair dose of aerobic work. The repetition scheme on the gymnastics movement is designed so that you can move through the movements without breaking them. This will set you up nicely to have a fun time starting easy on the rower and then building across the 3 sets. Because your anaerobic system will be depleted, have a slightly higher than usual stroke rate on your rowing. The last row should hurt, or be highly uncomfortable if you want to use a nicer word. Athletes modifying movements should try to find modifications that allow them to keep the numbers very similar to RX. Videos on the next post. . Option 1 3 strict banded L pull-ups (band on butt) 9 strict push-ups 3 strict banded L pull-ups 9 strict push-ups Row 750 meters . Option 2 3 strict banded rings L pull-ups 9 rack push-ups 3 strict banded rings L pull-ups 9 rack push-ups Row 500 meters

Steven ThunanderApril 3rd, 2019 at 1:03 am

Globo Scale: Yet another one easily done in a globo setting. If you don't have a rower, run 600 meters on a track, outside, or treadmill with a slight incline. (its getting warm enough that most shouldn't need to assault bike or otherwise substitute this. Otherwise 30 cals assault bike or 36 cals aerodyne, or 30 burpees per round).

Tripp StarlingApril 3rd, 2019 at 1:26 am

Busy day tomorrow so got it in tonight. Did first round rx and switched to strict pull-ups last 2 rounds in 17:12

Eric O'ConnorApril 3rd, 2019 at 1:33 am

Here are some thoughts on scaling this one as well as a couple options for group class implementation: Strict L Pull-ups: I consider the volume of this movement to be relatively low when spread out over the course of 3 rounds. That being said, I will still have many athletes that will need to modify this movement in order to maintain consistency and the strict nature of the movement. For athletes that have some capacity with L pull-ups, but the volume is too high, I will reduce the reps or modify the movement to a tuck L pull-up or an L pull-up with one leg tucked and the other leg extended. For athletes that cannot perform an L pull-up, they will modify the movement to either a band-assisted L pull-up or a band-assisted strict pull-up, and follow it up with a 10-second L-hang variation after completion of the set. Further scaling will be done on an individual basis. Push-ups- I consider the volume of this movement to be moderate and achievable for many of my athletes, when arranged in this fashion. For athletes that can perform push-ups, but the volume is too high, I will likely have them reduce the reps on each round. For athletes that cannot perform push-ups, I will either have them perform incline push-ups or utilize band-assistance, using a band attached to a pull-up bar and the looped just above the hips. These movement modifications are the same options that I provided on the previous workout involving push-ups. I typically rotate modifications on a consistent basis, but today I’m choosing to work on higher quality reps and potentially more volume with the same movement modification. Rowing: I will have most of my athletes complete the entire distance on each of the row efforts. In some cases, I will use time guidelines to assess when reducing distance may be beneficial. For example, if I have an athlete that is likely to row the initial 750 meters in over 4:00, I will consider reducing the distance of each row effort or have them row for a set duration on each effort. Workout Modification: This workout may be difficult to run in a group class. Here are some options for modifying the workout: 1) Consider replacing the row with a run. Although a different function than the row, the run still maintains the monostructural element. Also, there has not been a lot of running lately, so I’m ok with this movement change today. I can also have athletes get into groups of 3 and then assign each athlete a round that they will row. For example: athlete 1 rows on the first round, athlete 2 rows on the second round, and athlete 3 will row on the third round. When it is not your round to row, you are completing a run. This option still allows 1 round to be completed with the prescribed movement and is a great modification if you have a 1:3 rower to athlete ratio. 2) A partner variation can also be a good option. The following option works well if you have a 1:2 rower to athlete ratio: 3 rounds of: Athlete 1 rows 750 meters. While athlete 1 is rowing, athlete 2 completes as many rounds/reps as possible of: 5 strict L pull-ups and 15 strict push-ups. When athlete 1 finishes the row, the roles reverse.

Alex ChungApril 3rd, 2019 at 6:36 am

6min

Shannon SaidApril 3rd, 2019 at 8:38 am

Rx 23:45

Dave DeCosteApril 3rd, 2019 at 10:48 am

15:38 Rx

Sebastien FitzpatrickApril 3rd, 2019 at 11:25 am

18:30 Rx L pull-ups are getting easier for sure. Again, I pushed harder on the row since monostructural is a weakness of mine.

Randy LongApril 3rd, 2019 at 12:33 pm

19:22 Rx. As always. Harder than one would expect. Good one.

Jeff PinkstaffApril 3rd, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Was a good workout! For me some of these workouts can be challenging due to having no barbell or even a pull up bar at my apartment gym. Pumped for tomorrow’s!

Michael ArkoApril 3rd, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Subbed 30 cal elliptical machine Level 12 (so, 1 cal = 25 m row). Gymnastic reps Rx: 16:02 I used chin-up grip for L pull-ups (based on the old video, featuring a human dude, not the Amazonian beast). Very clean, no kipping but I don't know if chin-up grip counts as "strict". I figured, close enough. Also, very careful to maintain tight-elbows position for push-ups. Really hoped to finish under 16 minutes, but I had to take 2 breaks on the last set of push-ups, and that was the difference.

Aaron SmithApril 3rd, 2019 at 1:44 pm

19:38. First round Rx. Then knee to chest pull ups. Rower at the gym had broken foot straps, had to keep stopping to tighten :(. But probably only cost 45 secs overall.

Nicholas MondionApril 3rd, 2019 at 1:57 pm

15:00 Rx that last row brought me in that dark dark place ! Had a blast !

Eric MottApril 3rd, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Substituted L’s for band assisted strict pull ups: 22:12

Terry LewisApril 3rd, 2019 at 3:28 pm

22:30 ✔️

Mattia SiliprandiApril 3rd, 2019 at 3:36 pm

14:48 rx

Renan ClaroApril 3rd, 2019 at 3:42 pm

19’38”

Owen WebbApril 3rd, 2019 at 3:44 pm

15.48

Stacey ThompkinsApril 3rd, 2019 at 3:47 pm

M/44/6'2"/185# Did a fun looking wod from a local box my 12 year old daughter goes to Crossfit North Charleston... 15 min Alt EMOM: 15/10 cal AB 30 DU's + 5 burpees to 6" target 15/10 cal row I scaled AB and row to 12 cals and was able to complete everything within the minute about 12-15 secs left...will do again another time and add a cal on each

Stacey ThompkinsApril 3rd, 2019 at 4:02 pm

*Almost forgot the first part of the wod was 30 Turkish get ups used 55# KB switched arms every 3 reps

John ClarkeApril 3rd, 2019 at 3:58 pm

15:21 rx

Cesar SamaniegoApril 3rd, 2019 at 4:06 pm

16'52" Rx

Correia GaetanApril 3rd, 2019 at 4:32 pm

16 min 13 RX

Steve DayApril 3rd, 2019 at 4:37 pm

18:06 Round 1 Rx - about 5min w/2:56 row Round 2 - about 7 min - Knee tuck pullups broken as (3/2) & (5x1), pushups broken as 15 & (10/5) w/2:58 row Round 3 - about 6 min - Knee tuck pullups broken as (5x1) & (5x1), pushups broken as 15 & (8/7) w/2:57 row

Nathan Michael KingApril 3rd, 2019 at 4:40 pm

26:13 Rx I might of added in and extra two sets of 5 and 15 since I was distracted by my girlfriend asking questions. I really focused on making my push ups really solid. I made sure to keep body tension during the movement. I did the same with the l-pullups not letting my legs drop once I reached full extension at the bottom of the pullup. I also tried to get my chest close to the bar instead of just getting my chin over, using a reverse grip. Go ham on the rower if you want or need Pukie to show up and then see if you can hold that tension once again on the next two rounds. Feeling strong.

Hendrik BünzenApril 3rd, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Did 3 strict pullups, 10 pushups, row 500m - 14:46

Tom PerryApril 3rd, 2019 at 7:02 pm

57 / 168 as rx'd 15:39

Jacob CramApril 3rd, 2019 at 7:05 pm

15:54 subbed 36 cal airdyne for row, the rest was rx

Lee LordApril 3rd, 2019 at 7:40 pm

HELP. I'm new to CrossFit. I started about 2 months ago doing a few different random WODS I circulation. I've now noticed I'm not doing enough heavy lifts. I was looking at 3 strength days and 2 cardio days and then I've just found this site and all the workouts today. Would you suggest just following this day by day and then after this workout do some other bits that involve a body part not involved in the days workout. I have 75-90 mins to work out and I'm keen to use the time to maximize progress. I'm doing a lot of research but really struggling to get clarity. Apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm very uneducated with CrossFit.

Sebastien FitzpatrickApril 3rd, 2019 at 8:12 pm

If you’re new to fitness, just follow the daily workout and you’ll get stronger. After you’ve done it a while and are comfortable with your recovery, then doing some low volume strength is fine. I wouldn’t do more then 15-20 reps total on the days you decide to do strength work. And know that doing multiple workouts during the same session can slow down your progress if you don’t recover well between workouts.

Lee LordApril 3rd, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Sebastien. Much appreciated

Mike AndridgeApril 3rd, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Pull ups with knee bent else as rx 18:47 m/49/175

Gordon LeeApril 3rd, 2019 at 8:08 pm

17:17 rx

Theodore WitkampApril 3rd, 2019 at 8:29 pm

21:36 strict pull-ups.

Christopher VoghtApril 3rd, 2019 at 8:53 pm

3 rounds for time of: 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups Sub 600 run 19:07

Bruce BeckerApril 3rd, 2019 at 9:12 pm

19:42 rx 58M

Shane AziziApril 3rd, 2019 at 10:02 pm

14:11 Rx

Luke RodinaApril 3rd, 2019 at 10:43 pm

Rx 12:53 First two 750m rows paced about 1:48/500m. Thirds 750m row about 1:43/500m pace.

Stacey CarpenterApril 3rd, 2019 at 11:55 pm

mod toe nail strict pullups on box and Rower on 5 time 24:20 fastest 750row 3:00 first round finished with negative pullups and 5*5 frsq115#

Brian ContiApril 4th, 2019 at 2:24 am

17:23 rx Rows between 2:50 and 2:58

Jake KiddooApril 4th, 2019 at 2:31 am

18:00 little leg swing for L pull ups

Michael MarleauApril 4th, 2019 at 2:47 am

3 rounds for time of: 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups Row 750 meters 21:00

Randy SigmanApril 4th, 2019 at 2:51 am

21:35 Strict pull-ups

Byron HillsApril 4th, 2019 at 3:03 am

Rx except blue band assist around feet on pull-ups - 25:10

Phill KiddooApril 4th, 2019 at 3:10 am

17:32 rxd

Craig HicksApril 4th, 2019 at 4:15 am

M/42/180/5’10 16:09 as Rx man the row was difficult went in with the expectations of a 1:45 500m pace that was out the window after the first round Like Mike Tyson says everyone has a plan until they get hit!!!! Good wod thanks coach....

Js SmithApril 4th, 2019 at 4:21 am

Sub 3mile jog up in the hills with a buddy, after work. Got a little spring sprinkle but it was still very nice. 😊

Jesse MontagninoApril 4th, 2019 at 5:12 am

5 strict knee tuck pull ups 15 push ups 500 row (shared rower) 1714 D 5 purple band l pull up 10 knee push ups 500 row 1704

Elijah KeyesApril 4th, 2019 at 7:47 am

Scaled - assisted pull-ups. 17:50

Viktor WachtlerApril 4th, 2019 at 11:06 am

Subbed: 3 rounds for time of: 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups 600m run 14:49

Brian RosenbaumApril 4th, 2019 at 2:30 pm

m/57/6'2"/177 RX - strict movements 20:07 rower at 125 drag factor - 2:00 pace

Darren WardApril 4th, 2019 at 2:57 pm

12:25, subbed runs for rows and found they were 500-575M rather than 600M. Legs dropping on last 2 sets of chins.

Joe KlusmanApril 4th, 2019 at 8:18 pm

16:39 Rx

Nathan BynumApril 4th, 2019 at 11:48 pm

I am so MAD!!!! This was terrible and I did it as prescribed. I have been using a app called SmartWOD. It has an AMRAP, For Time, EMOM and TABATA option. This is the third time the For Time option has just stopped mid workout. Today, once the work out got started I had my phone by the rower and the clock was going until I was done with the first of the last round of strict L pull-ups and I saw it just stop. I finished out the WOD as prescribed but just WTF! Based of my time at the end of the first and second rounds I think my time was somewhere around 17:00. M / 39 / 6' / 197lbs

Mike ScottApril 5th, 2019 at 1:01 am

First wod after meniscus surgery so did 2 rds as rx sub .5 mile on bike for rows, untimed but decent pace

David SmithApril 5th, 2019 at 3:54 am

I hate how hard pull-ups feel after the row. Had to break them up.

Rajat SamantaApril 5th, 2019 at 4:54 am

18min RX!

Claire Fiddian-GreenApril 5th, 2019 at 7:14 am

20:50. Rx rows and push ups. Modified strict L-pull-ups with one knee to chest and a few strict pull ups, then scaled down to shoulder shrugs with one knee to chest.

Cy AziziApril 5th, 2019 at 2:04 pm

19:55

D SchultzApril 5th, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Subbed row for 75 SDHP 50# Everything else rx’d 21:53

Matt DuplessisApril 5th, 2019 at 11:25 pm

M/31/5'9/175 16:01 Rx Strict pull-ups are hard after rowing.

Sam PatApril 6th, 2019 at 2:57 am

3 sets: 6 pushups 750m row 6 pushups 3 sets: 2 pullups 2 pullups

Elliott HardingApril 6th, 2019 at 5:42 pm

25:48 Pullups (normal, strict). Orange band. Broken. Use gray. Focus on shoulder blades down and back before pull. Pushups. HoffF. First mini set regular, second mini set on knees.

Scott WiedmeyerApril 7th, 2019 at 2:51 am

32 / M / 5'9" / 140lbs 2 rounds: Strict tuck-sit ring pull-ups x3 Strict dumbbells push-ups x10 15lb dumbbells SDHPs x25 20:30

Dyon TorrellApril 7th, 2019 at 7:04 am

24 mins All done

John DoodyApril 12th, 2019 at 11:25 pm

17:43. Slight bend in knees for L-Pull-ups

John CampionApril 16th, 2019 at 6:07 pm

17:04 rx

Tanmay BhattacharyaApril 22nd, 2019 at 11:48 am

15.38, tried the L sit Pullups to the best of my ability, but still wasn't perfect

Jeff ChalfantApril 24th, 2019 at 11:15 pm

19:03 rx with L chin-ups (supinated grip, pronated kills my shoulders on these) All L pull-ups unbroken. First round in 4:45ish. Only first set of pushups unbroken. Then 10-3-2 and 6-5-4. Row times were 3:08, 3:11.8, 3:06.3 and nearly puked afterward. 40/192/5’9”

Kevin MillerApril 27th, 2019 at 1:22 pm

RX 20:23

Kury AkinMay 8th, 2019 at 4:42 pm

19:20. Strict ring L-pulls mostly with some tucks in one or two sets 50/50. Strict push ups done in mostly two sets (10/5). Only two unbroken. Sub each row with 25DU, 20 each of: 20k sdlhp, 9kg wall balls, 20kg KB swings, 25DU (3:15, 3:30, 4:00).

Danielle HaleMay 21st, 2019 at 1:52 am

15:55rx

Manchild ManchildMay 25th, 2019 at 9:08 pm

subbed 400m run for row 14:37

Francisco AlférezMay 26th, 2019 at 10:08 am

1 round for time of: 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups 5 strict L pull-ups 15 strict push-ups 75 sumo deadlift high pulls (20-kg.) TIME: 8'30"