January 10, 2011

Monday 110110

attitudehangingon_th.jpg

CrossFit Attitude (Australia)

Affiliate Scenario: Somebody wasn't watching Little Sally Squat and she used the gym chalk to draw hearts and ponies and her name all over your mats. Again and again. You've tried mopping but it's just turned into a white mess. What else can you do to get your mats back to black?

"This Day" from CrossFit Northwest Tucson.

"It's All About the Brand" from Open Forum.

"Management must speak with one voice. When it doesn't, management itself becomes a peripheral opponent to the team's mission." -- Pat Riley

Posted by Lisbeth at January 10, 2011 12:05 AM
Comments

Glad to hear we aren't the only box to have a "Sally" or two. First, I have the parent(s) do 20-500 burpees each depending on the severity of the drawings, then I mop over the area digging in as hard as I can, then I get on my knees and scrub like crazy with a bristled scrub brush. This process also works with tally marks made from athletes counting rounds or reps on our floor.

Comment #1 - Posted by: Cody at January 9, 2011 8:58 PM

Yes Please!
When we do WODs that athletes have to be on the mats vs concrete, the clean up is impossible. Have tried Simple Green, Metaquat, HDQ, water...there has to be a chalk remover???

Comment #2 - Posted by: Sam at January 10, 2011 2:34 AM

I think you mop it and leave it...I guess for me there are so many other things to worry about in the gym I don't want to spend a ton of time worrying about chalk stains. Sure it'd be nice to have all the mats look shiny like day 1, but it is inevitable that they are going to get dirty and covered in chalk. Chalk gets somewhere everyday, I say don't stress it...I do tell my clients to not get carried away with the chalk though, use it when it is needed, not all the time.

Comment #3 - Posted by: Jade_Jenny at January 10, 2011 5:16 AM

Don't squeeze the mop dry. Barely squeeze any water out and mop the area. This will take care of your problem

Comment #4 - Posted by: Jeb Smith at January 10, 2011 5:53 AM

We use mop and glo and a pad mop, the rectangular kind with the removable cloth cover. Never had a problem. What kind of chalk are you using?

Comment #5 - Posted by: tony at January 10, 2011 6:22 AM

We write on our mats all the time and this isn't ever a big issue for us. Daily we have our athletes use a squirt bottle with a diluted bleach/water mix. Weekly we mop the whole floor with bleach/water and it all comes up pretty easily.

Comment #6 - Posted by: Dan Hollingsworth at January 10, 2011 6:48 AM

Thank you Lisbeth for posting "This Day" about the shooting in our town on the affiliate page. It amazes me how the CrossFit community hears the cry and bands together to support each other. Thanks again for your support.

Comment #7 - Posted by: Jennifer Lawrence at January 10, 2011 7:44 AM

Dont use chalk and if you do get rid of it. It is funny how fast people get over it when they can't have it and then realize they dont need it.

Comment #8 - Posted by: Scott at January 10, 2011 9:39 AM

Hopefully no chalk isn't the answer! I do know that my years of pretending to O-lift in a globo without chalk, and constantly trying to dry my hands during pullups on a bar that has a rubber coating were trivial to now being able to use it when I need it.

I like Jade's point of view, I also think its one of those things that distinguishs a CF box. Chalk in moderation is the key.

I say go to a local high school close to ya and get a student who would trade some gym time for some mopping time. Save ya the trouble...

Comment #9 - Posted by: Jeff at January 10, 2011 10:01 AM

When we have lots of gym chalk and writing chalk on the mats we have to vacuum the floor with a shop vac before mopping. If we don't there are white swirl marks all over the mats when they dry. Changing the water frequently also helps. Also, a good shop vac will get the mats pretty clean (depending on the surface pattern of the mats, large diamond plate pattern messes with suction). Which keeps things looking nice between mops.

Comment #10 - Posted by: David S at January 10, 2011 10:13 AM

Vinegar and water... Mop (scrub brush if needed)

Comment #11 - Posted by: Mike Manning at January 10, 2011 10:48 AM

Sweep, then mop. THEN give yourself a high five - if this is your biggest problem in the world, congratulations! You're successful!

Comment #12 - Posted by: Chris Cooper at January 10, 2011 2:42 PM

Love the picture. Especially the sole female athlete with her hot pink Vibrams. Needing a tall box to get to that bar, You girl are a giant among men!

Comment #13 - Posted by: Kimberly Wilkes at January 10, 2011 3:02 PM

scrubbing bubbles & a rag- takes out everything ;)

Comment #14 - Posted by: Allison H at January 11, 2011 6:48 AM

Vacuum then scrub with a stiff bristled broom, hot water and vinegar. Then mop with hot water and vinegar.

Comment #15 - Posted by: Jason at January 16, 2011 3:39 PM

I guess I am the IDIOT of the bunch here. When little Sally or other child comes in to CrossFit of Naperville...I'm the one to hand them some chalk and says, Go to town. That or I give them my mini whiteboard, colored dry erase markers and an eraser. If the picture doesn't come all the way out the first mopping, we all know it is clean.

Gotta go mop, see you all later.
Neil

Comment #16 - Posted by: Neil of CrossFit of Naperville at January 18, 2011 7:33 PM