July 26, 2010

Monday 100726

ccffhkids_th.jpg

The CrossFit Kids program at Centurion CrossFit Fort Hood (TX). They were also featured recently in the base paper: "Kids Get Fit Through CrossFit."

Affiliate Scenario: Your gym is extremely hot in the summer -- and the air quality is not great lately. You're considering telling the pregnant ladies and the older folks to stay home until the weather breaks -- but you know they like coming and you don't want to lose their memberships. What should you do? Just let them come? Adjust their workouts? Or just not worry so much?

Still wondering how to communicate what CrossFit is to prospective clients? Two ways to explain with video: "What is CrossFit?" (High 5) and "What is CrossFit?" (CFO).

"Win some, lose some, wreck some." -- Dale Earnhardt

Posted by Lisbeth at July 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Comments

Love the quote!

Comment #1 - Posted by: JD at July 25, 2010 10:43 PM

I have just opened my box and am forseeing this situation. It is hitting over 100 in my unconditioned warehouse space. All my members, currently, are in their 20s and 30s and all pretty healthy. I am not sure what I would do for elderly or pregnant clients. 6AM class and encourage them to go to it instead?

Comment #2 - Posted by: Eric Lester at July 26, 2010 5:32 AM

I'm 17 weeks pregnant & have been Crossfitting about 18 mos. I'm also Registered Nurse and married to an exercise physiologist & Physical Therapist, so I've done a lot or research on this subject to maintain a healthy safe pregnancy and continue to Crossfit during the summer. It gets extremely hot where I live as well (105f on Sat). Try to encourage early morning workouts for them. Also make sure they are hydrated very well, that's probably most important. I drink 1 liter before I hit the gym, 1 liter during my warmup, and 1 liter during the WOD at least. Thier urine needs to be as clear as water BEFORE exercise! Make sure they pace themselves and don't try to push them, pregnancy is not the time for new PR's. I also mist my self with a spray bottle to aid in heat dissapation and hog up a fan. This obviously applies to generally healthy people without other health conditions or high risk pregnancys. And if it's too hot or I can't make the AM class, I take a rest day, better safe than sorry.

Comment #3 - Posted by: Jen B at July 26, 2010 5:59 AM

Agreed!

I try to push them to early morning classes (which the majority already come to) and stay plenty hydrated

Comment #4 - Posted by: Andrew Bueno at July 26, 2010 7:12 AM

I didn't post this link earlier http://afitpregnancy.blogspot.com
I created it as a guide for pregnant women who use Crossfit or any another intense training method. There's actually a few of us pregnant at the same time at our gym.

Comment #5 - Posted by: Jen B at July 26, 2010 9:17 AM

Thanks for the promo video links! Thats a HUGE production value for us.

Already up on our site!

Comment #6 - Posted by: CraigH - DiabloCrossFit at July 26, 2010 3:58 PM

I'm not an affiliate, but here's my contribution for less than fire breathers in the heat.

I agree with the early morning WODs. Could you consider later evening WODs??

Hydration is essential. Urine color is the best easy way to measure. Concur that clearest is best before.

Misting depends on Relative Humidity. If RH is too high, it won't do as much, unless you use colder water and then maybe wipe with a towel.

Get some high volume fans and position them so the clients can stand in front and use the moving air to convect heat away from themselves.

If you have a drier climate, consider putting a cheapo mister in front of a fan and point it downwind. When I did the Bataan Memorial Death March, they use a HUGE trailer with misters and park it so it cross the road with the prevailing wind. It is AWESOME to walk in front of and it's big enough to stand and not hog it up.

I'm in New Mexico where it's usually hot and dry so evaporative cooling works well.

Also, cooling stuff in the armpits, groin, and carotid areas of the neck can drop body temp quite quickly--we use it for post cardiac arrest therapy if we get a pulse back--I'm also a paramedic, sorry if that sounded weird.

Comment #7 - Posted by: Mike Romo at August 6, 2010 10:24 AM