November 2, 2009

MONDAY 091102

danportugalbravo_th.jpg

Dan G. from Bravo CrossFit (NY) on vacation in Setubal, Portugal.

CrossFit on vacation: Do you prefer to do it by yourself, at a local affiliate, or go on a CrossFit Certification Vacation like the Gymnastics/Nutrition cert in Colorado? Post to Comments.

CrossFit Thin Air (CO) tells what they did on their vacation, while CrossFit Toronto (Canada) uses their message board to remind us of Eva T.'s big list of bodyweight workouts that can be handy to have on vacation.

Posted by Lisbeth at November 2, 2009 12:05 AM
Comments

Dan! Whoot! CFW thinks your awesome!

Comment #1 - Posted by: Jen at November 2, 2009 2:40 AM

When our ShedHeads are on the road for vacation or business, we supply them with plenty of WOD options so they don't miss a beat.
The comprehensive bodyweight exercises doc is a great resource and we like to emphasize that all that is needed is just your own bodyweight and maybe a jumprope.

We make it so there are no excuses to miss a WOD while traveling.

Comment #2 - Posted by: J9 at November 2, 2009 3:24 AM

Thanks Jen! I think CFW is awesome and really wish I could visit more often.

I've actually made it a habbit to travel with Eva T's list of bodyweight workouts...very easy & convienent to travel with

Comment #3 - Posted by: Dan G. at November 2, 2009 6:09 AM

Our members "check out" the bodyweight WOD document and a stop watch when they go on vacation or are away for business.

Many of them also visit a local CrossFit affiliate. We've got one member with quite the t-shirt collection from CrossFits across the country.

Comment #4 - Posted by: Wendy Shafranski at November 2, 2009 6:22 AM

DAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment #5 - Posted by: K at November 2, 2009 6:39 AM

Usually workout by myself since I normally don't have any wheels when I'm out of town on business/pleasure.

I was in Vegas last year and took full advantage of the stairwells. On the 3rd day I had some of the cleaning staff working out with me. We started having races up and down the stairs (some of them beat me).

I just make stuff up as I go.

Comment #6 - Posted by: David Chow at November 2, 2009 6:48 AM

yay dan!!!

Comment #7 - Posted by: Jill at November 2, 2009 7:10 AM

In the 6 years our family has been involved in CrossFit every family vacation has been a CrossFit vacation. Traveling to certs or visiting friends that we have met through CF. This summer we took our first "Non CrossFit" vacation. Never again.

Comment #8 - Posted by: Jeff at November 2, 2009 8:03 AM

I'm currently stationed at McMurdo in Antarctica. Eva T's list of bodyweight workouts is a godsend down here. Hit one hard after I wake up, then I'm ready for a day out on the ice runway. Thanks all.

Comment #9 - Posted by: Chris at November 2, 2009 9:13 AM

Awesome Dan! we drove cross-country summer 09 and went to several crossfit's along the way. in fact that's how we decided when to stop and where to stay. It was great. they were all very welcoming, we just emailed the day before. we ended up guest coaching at a few. great memories.

Comment #10 - Posted by: Donna at November 2, 2009 1:56 PM

Our vacation this summer started with a Kettlebell cert in England, followed by a fantastic trip to Brand X for a level 1 Cert and CrossFit Kids Cert. Then a trip to Flagstaff for the Barbell Cert, and finished off with a trip to San Fran to see KStarr. Oh and we also managed to get married at Brand X in between! We have subsequently done our Olympic Cert in Scotland and the Gymnastic Cert in Ireland. What a year of Gulping the Cool Aid. Life doesn't get any better than CrossFit!

Comment #11 - Posted by: Graham and Lorraine at November 2, 2009 2:55 PM

Jeff #8..."Never Again." ROFL!!

When I travel alone I try to get to an affiliate; failing that I make do in the hotel gym. In San Francisco in April I walked 5 miles looking for a playground to do a WOD (after getting my butt whupped by Boz at SFCF). Turns out I made a huge circle around Crossfit Lalane Fitness, all of 3 blocks from my hotel. I "found" them on my recent trip, not alone, so just said hi.

Comment #12 - Posted by: bingo at November 2, 2009 5:23 PM

When I travel on business especially I always try and find an affiliate. And I'll say this, every time the affiliate owner/coach has welcomed me as if I were an old friend.

Traveling for pleasure I usually have to use the hotel gym, unfortunately. I would much prefer to find an affiliate, but alas it seems where I go they don't have one yet. In fact, when my wife and I went to Europe this past summer I seriously thought of changing our itinerary to include a city that had an affiliate just to get in a coach-led WOD. My wife wasn't so thrilled with the idea (unfortunately, she's not a member of our cult) and so I decided against it.

Comment #13 - Posted by: Joe at November 2, 2009 8:34 PM

HOOYAAAAA I know this guy! Way to go Dan, nice job on the WOD today too!

-Billy

Comment #14 - Posted by: Billy at November 3, 2009 1:59 PM

If possible I try to go to an affiliate, if not available then I do a bodyweight WOD. I would love to do a "Crossfit vacation". I can't make the one in January. I was thinking of going to the one this past August, but then the link was deleted. Colorado in the summer is awesome! (in the winter too!)

Comment #15 - Posted by: Laura at November 3, 2009 4:33 PM