July 28, 2009

TUESDAY 090728

fgbwwarrior_th.jpg

Dan O'Shea (pictured on the left here) reminds us that Fight Gone Bad IV is about so much more than a workout. Read his words of thanks to CrossFitters in the extended post at the bottom of this blog entry.

Is there a "best" order in which to do Fight Gone Bad? Although the FAQ lists one order, do you ever see substantial improvement if you change things around? What do your affiliate members like to do?

Why You Should Join Fight Gone Bad IV on Sept 26th . . .

My name is Dan O'Shea. I am a Reserve Navy SEAL officer and graduate of the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. In the 1990's, I deployed to the Middle East numerous times with SEAL Team Three before leaving the Teams to compete in Adventure Races all over the world (Raid Gauloises, Eco Challenge, Southern Traverse . . .). Following the attacks of 9/11, I voluntarily returned to active duty to serve at Special Operations Command CENTRAL and have deployed many times since to US Central Command (USCENTCOM) supporting Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).

My friend Scott Zagarino (of FGB IV and Athletes for a Cure) asked me if I would write a brief note acknowledging the CrossFit community for the commitment you're making by giving your time and sweat to Fight Gone Bad IV on September 26th. I also wanted to add a personal thank you to each of you because my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in the 1990's and is still living a full life today because of research supported directly by Athletes for a Cure (AfaC).

I want each of you to know that you may never personally meet or know how many people you affect by giving up one day in your life for others. Remember, "only a life lived in the service to others is worth living" (Albert Einstein) and "Those who aim at great deeds must also suffer greatly." (Plutarch).

Today, every man, woman in uniform serving overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan, offers up sweat and sometimes blood and tears defending a country, their community, and you. Competing in Fight Gone Bad will be more than merely saying thank you. You will be sweating while some Army Rangers are rucking up the Hindu Kush Mountains in Afghanistan or Navy SEALs stacking on a door in some Baghdad slum. We may never meet in person, but we thank you for your sacrifice to train and raise money and awareness on behalf of AfaC for the Wounded Warrior Project.

What you're doing matters to every warrior serving this country. Your efforts will directly support American brothers and sisters wounded in combat defending our way of life.

Dan O'Shea CDR USNR

Posted by Lisbeth at July 28, 2009 12:05 AM
Comments

last year we opened in September and were not ready to participate in FGB. What do I have to do to make this happen this year?

Comment #1 - Posted by: merle at July 28, 2009 2:58 AM

One thing we learned doing FGB, the movements are in a particular order: Push,pull,jump,push,pull. If for some reason you have to change up the order it's helps to keep this symmetry in mind. Don't put the pushes and the pulls together.

Comment #2 - Posted by: Johanna at July 28, 2009 3:30 AM

The question that came up for us at FGB 2007 was whether the athletes rotate a station each round, or always start at the same station. We didn't rotate and I started each round on the rower. Not good...

Comment #3 - Posted by: John Frazer M/43/185# at July 28, 2009 5:22 AM

You can crank out some serious numbers if you start with the push press.

Comment #4 - Posted by: Amy - CF NRV at July 28, 2009 9:07 AM

to all crossfitters i am lookinginto setting up a crossfit gym and wondering if 70sqft box will be any good? and how many people i might be able to train at one time. i know it will depend on equipment but just an ideawould be great. I am a personal trainer and i have to set up the box before i can get to a cert any help will be greatly recieved> please reply to jspt84@hotmail.com or contact page on www.bodywise-uk.com this is my current gym.

Comment #5 - Posted by: joe stephens at July 28, 2009 12:25 PM

Merle,

Everything you need for FGBIV is here www.fgb4.org

Just go on the site and register your affiliate. Then all of your members can register under your affiliate. There will also be a regional aspect to the event this year (I believe Jason Ackerman of CF Albany is running your region). Larger affiliates within a region will be inviting smaller affiliates or affiliates who do not have enough equipment to participate at their box (your affiliate still gets credit for the funds you raise).

Check out the site and let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Josh

Comment #6 - Posted by: Murph at July 28, 2009 3:08 PM

Interesting #2, I see it as Squat (sustained, like a thruster) deadlift (sustained) jump, jump, deadlift (sustained). As far as i'm concerned, starting or ending with push press is either good, you can crank out tons either way, either pad your score or eeek out some more reps. Freddy C. says, just don't row - take the two minutes rest ;)

Jesse