July 23, 2008

WEDNESDAY 080723

OHSthumb.jpg

Michael McLeish of CrossFit Emerald Coast. Some things are just nice to look at, like a good overhead squat . . .

CrossFit Philly is in a gym battle for braggin' rights in Philadelphia--and you know how tough Philly is! Here's the link to support our CF brethren: vote.

What do you get when you mix CrossFit Ireland with CrossFit Central Scotland? Board shorts, a few kettlebell tricks, and CrossFit Ceilidh dancing. Really, watch until the end, it's worth a look: video

More top CrossFit trainers answer the question: "What is the cornerstone of mastery for an elite CrossFitter?"

• Pat Barber: "All weights as Rx. Never have to sub. I don't believe there is mastery, now that I think about it. You just have to work on your weaknesses and then move on to the next weakness. Stay on the 3 on/1 off, don't fatigue, and stay focused."
  • Adrian Bozman: "Consistency. That's true for anything."
  • Tony Budding: "Sustained power--which is intensity across broad time and modal domains. Before the Games, we had a pretty good idea of who the top competitors would be because they had demonstrated sustained power output before; whether it was in bodyweight exercises or moving external objects. It's not technique. Technique is important but not predictive of an elite CrossFitter. The ability to generate power is."
  • Todd Widman: "Remain humble, learn everything you can, give it everything you got, and leave it on the mat."

Posted by Lisbeth at July 23, 2008 12:05 AM
Comments

I think these are great observations! What a loaded question...

I agree that "mastery" is a very tough word to mesh with CrossFit. Along those lines, I think self awareness may be a good cornerstone to developing mastery.

I doubt there was ever an athlete that naively became an elite CrossFitter. It takes desire, observation, analysis, performance...and then the cycle repeats. The best are the best because they WANT to be better, they SEE what they are currently doing, they MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, and then they TEST themselves.

One of my favorite parts of CrossFit is seeing people learn how to systematically remove their own limitations. It's powerful stuff.

Have a great Tuesday!

Comment #1 - Posted by: jb at July 23, 2008 5:12 AM

You know, one of these days I should really get a feat of fitness up on the affiliate page, rather than my regular tomfoolery.

Comment #2 - Posted by: Colm at July 23, 2008 5:42 AM

"Tomorrow: Nicole Carroll gives the answer that could help you master virtually every area of your life."

You had me at "Nicole"...

Comment #3 - Posted by: Adam K, M/36/6'4"/222 at July 23, 2008 5:55 AM

Mostly wanted to say what a great job you're doing with the Affiliate Blog, Darsh. As a garage gym CFer, my opinion may be a bit uninformed, but to paraphrase Coach, excellence is obvious even to the untrained eye.

Like Jolie and Dutch's response to the question. She identified the cornerstone and he identified the falsehood inherent in the concept of mastery. Can't wait to hear Nicole's thoughts on the matter.

Comment #4 - Posted by: PatrickH at July 23, 2008 6:46 AM

solid, mike.

Comment #5 - Posted by: ec at July 23, 2008 6:54 AM

Looking great Mike! Keep up the awesome work at CEC. If there is anything you need from me, dont hesitate to ask!

Comment #6 - Posted by: Lisa Lugo at July 23, 2008 8:57 AM

Nicely done, Mike. It was good meeting you over the weekend.

Comment #7 - Posted by: Rob at July 23, 2008 9:22 AM

Thanks for the comments and the posting Lisbeth! I knew this was coming some day, but it still surprised me to log onto the affiliate blog this morning and see my backside!

Comment #8 - Posted by: Mike Mc 30/5'9"/165# CrossFit Emerald Coast at July 23, 2008 12:33 PM

PatrickH -- thanks! And we're glad to have garage CrossFitters on the ABlog: differing perspectives help us all.

Mike -- you're an awesome guy, keep up the good work!

Comment #9 - Posted by: Lisbeth at July 23, 2008 1:19 PM

Quality video.

Looks like you boys had fun!

Comment #10 - Posted by: Chet (UK): www.FuncKey.co.uk at July 23, 2008 2:15 PM

Thanks Adam K. You made me laugh today.

Enjoying the blog Lisbeth. Keep up the good work.

Comment #11 - Posted by: jwrbike M/38/178/6'3" at July 23, 2008 5:05 PM

Mastery is not measured by results, but by the ongoing commitment day in and day out to expanding one's own potential and encouraging others to do the same.

Comment #12 - Posted by: susan at July 23, 2008 11:12 PM

Awesome picture, Michael! That screams intensity and form all at once. Very cool!

Comment #13 - Posted by: Ian Carver at July 24, 2008 11:51 AM