July 22, 2008

TUESDAY 080722

PotomacJensmall.jpg

Jen Conlin of Potomac CrossFit trains a young athlete during a recent workout. Who knows? Starting that early, maybe this boy is a future "elite" CrossFitter.

Ever wonder how 2008 CF Games Winner Jason Khalipa started out in CrossFit 19 months ago? Read "Improvement" by CrossFit PEI and then link to the referenced CrossFit One World post. Jason is living proof of the power of individual determination and CrossFit.

What is the cornerstone of mastery of an elite CrossFiter? That's the question that CrossFit Oahu put to some of the top trainers at a recent Level II Cert.

Today, in the first of a three-part series, we have four of the answers to the question: What is the cornerstone of mastery of an elite CrossFitter?

• Lisa Ray: "The melding of technique in intensity. If you can have great technique during great power out, that is as close as you can get to mastery."
  • Jolie Gentry: "Squat. That's it."
  • Bryant Powers: "I would say that you have to be consistent to your goals. If you're not consistent, you can never live up to your best."
  • Dutch Lowy: "Here is the deal: There is no one good thing. If you have mastered CrossFit, you are not doing it right. That's all I have to say about that."
Next time, Tony Budding, "Boz" and others answer the same question . . . Posted by Lisbeth at July 22, 2008 12:05 AM
Comments

Jen Conlin Rocks!

Comment #1 - Posted by: Jerry Hill at July 22, 2008 1:05 AM

By my experience as a participant and coach the cornerstone of mastery of an elite crossfitter is versatility, "jack of all trades master at none". Setting no limits knowing no limits and being prepared for what ever rolls your way.

Comment #2 - Posted by: Jarrod Bell at July 22, 2008 4:21 AM

Yeah Jen! This little guy came out and had a blast with us at our park workout. Everybody got a kick out of him being there too.

Comment #3 - Posted by: Brian PCF at July 22, 2008 4:32 AM

This is a great shot..my kids are asking when they can train too!!! thanks jen!!!

Comment #4 - Posted by: Tamatha at July 22, 2008 5:41 AM

I was there that day that little guy came out... I wish there was a picture of his six-pack (no kidding!). He had an awesome attitude, and his dad was hitting it pretty hard, too.

Jen and Dan were awesome - I was very impressed with what they put into a free Saturday workout. Squat therapy, POSE instruction, a killer WOD, and pullup/muscleup work after that. Great example of generous giving.

Good luck to you guys at Potomac CrossFit with your new box!

Comment #5 - Posted by: Adam K, M/36/6'4"/222 at July 22, 2008 5:55 AM

I can hear Jen in my head saying, "initiate the squat by pulling your hips back."

I'm sorry I missed that workout, but can't wait for this Saturday's workout and the big grand opening of the box coming soon!

Aaron

Comment #6 - Posted by: Aaron at July 22, 2008 6:07 AM

You rock, Jen. Your dedication is second to none. Great to see you working with little behemouths, too!

Comment #7 - Posted by: Kat Ricker at July 22, 2008 7:47 AM

Jen's new Arlington gym actually has this MD girl considering crossing over the VA. Now that's impressive!

Comment #8 - Posted by: Maggie at July 22, 2008 7:59 AM

Nice going Jen! Soon you will be training our 8 month old...

Comment #9 - Posted by: Joanna at July 22, 2008 9:21 AM

You are awesome Jen!!!

Comment #10 - Posted by: andrea at July 22, 2008 10:09 AM

Jen, you rule... tell your crew from the Albany Games we're hitting it hard for next year...

Chip Moore

Comment #11 - Posted by: Clippa at July 22, 2008 12:54 PM

Thank you all so much for the kind words. It's all just in time for my B-day! How sweet.
This Crossfit community is very supportive! Thanks again.
Jen

Comment #12 - Posted by: Jen at July 22, 2008 6:27 PM

IMO, Jolie has the correct answer: A correct squat is the cornerstone of mastery of an elite CrossFitter.

The other answers are CF fluff.

Comment #13 - Posted by: CraigH-DCF at July 22, 2008 7:41 PM

What no one's mentioned is that the same young athlete showed up for Jen's CF Elements class at Crossfit DC the next morning. Wish I could keep up the burpees like that!

Comment #14 - Posted by: John Frazer at July 23, 2008 3:44 AM