July 21, 2008

MONDAY 080721

cfcroquet2THUMB.jpg

In a sure sign of the coming apocalypse, we found CrossFit trainers this weekend playing croquet. Here we have Nick Hawkes of CF San Diego, Eva Claire Synkowski and Jon Gilson of CF Boston, and Dale Ryan Thompson of CF BWI enjoying a nice round of "Gentry CrossFit" during a break from the Concept II Rowing Certification Seminar.

Where were the other trainers? Throwing themselves off a rope swing into a chilly Vermont lake. But, you know, that croquet looks really fun too . . .

Last week, we showed you the funny side of Jeff Tucker of GSX, but now, if you're a new affiliate owner or you're thinking about becoming an affiliate, you should seriously listen to Tuck's wise words at a recent CrossFit 5-Day Turnkey Affiliate Seminar: [wmv] [mov]

Posted by Lisbeth at July 21, 2008 12:05 AM
Comments

Tucker...Thanks for coming to the Affiliate Business Seminar. What we learned from having you attend is that you run a fantastic business, and are a huge resource to the CF community in both how to operate a CF box, and how to do Gymnastics properly!

Thanks for teaching us during our break times how to take physically difficult movements and practice them in condensed, "bite-sized" learning lessons. Simplifying the Muscle Up movements for me was tremendous.

It's our goal as Affiliate Coaches to help each Affiliate realize their successful dream of "filling" their box quickly, with happy clients who finally have a real opportunity for results.....because we all know that CrossFit changes peoples lives for the better.

Comment #1 - Posted by: Matt Hunt at July 21, 2008 4:53 AM

Tucker - thanks again for all the gymnastic coaching tips you shared with me and my staff. It was a true honor to have you here for a week sharing your knowledge. I can't wait to have you back in Decatur for the Gymnastic Cert!
Lisbeth - Awesome job with the Affiliate Blog!

Comment #2 - Posted by: Eric Willis at July 21, 2008 5:09 AM

that was before the vicious game of badminton.

nice work, team thunder & lightning.

Comment #3 - Posted by: ec at July 21, 2008 5:41 AM

EC-
I'm kissing "Thunder" and "Lightning" right now. Our domination was heard world wide!

Comment #4 - Posted by: Ryan Thompson-CrossFit BWI at July 21, 2008 7:13 AM

Tucker = poet

You're the man!

Comment #5 - Posted by: Nick at OTG at July 21, 2008 7:19 AM

Still in the water! Trying to make my way out! Great Cert!

Comment #6 - Posted by: Chris at July 21, 2008 7:25 AM

What an amazing weekend!!! I still cant believe you guys missed the "swing" to play "those games"!! Thank you to all who attended and made this weekend a huge success. It was a pleasure to get to meet so many of the East Coast affiliates! You all Rock!

Most importantly, a huge THANK YOU to Concept 2 for putting this on for the CF community. Tracey, Greg & Angela, you all are awesome!!!

Comment #7 - Posted by: Lisa Lugo at July 21, 2008 8:20 AM

A new workout:

"Chris"

34 muscle-ups into a scull for time

Comment #8 - Posted by: Brian at July 21, 2008 8:49 AM

That is the Jeff I know, humble and honest. Keep the up the great work bud, great job.

G

Comment #9 - Posted by: gios at July 21, 2008 9:02 AM

Brian -- LOL -- that was good!

Optional: Post-WOD handstands in a club followed by squats on a deserted Vermont street at 0-dark-30.

Man, Certs are fun!

Comment #10 - Posted by: Lisbeth at July 21, 2008 9:33 AM

Tucker

Geez - were you crying in that video? Haha...you're the man! We miss you too - looking forward to coming back out to GSX for some certs in August!

Comment #11 - Posted by: Mary & Mike at July 21, 2008 10:05 AM

Those are great "WOD'S"! I knew I should have borrowed Angela's gerbils.

Comment #12 - Posted by: Chris at July 21, 2008 12:13 PM

And a hearty second on all of what Lisa wrote. The fine folks over at Concept 2 know how to make great rowers and great weekends. We couldn't have asked for more. Thanks also to Peter for sharing his rowing expertise and to Dick and Judy for sharing their rope swing!

And to any affiliates who are wondering IF they should buy a rower, there's no "if" about it: get one, get two, get as many as can fit comfortably in your box. The Concept 2 rower infinitely enhances the CrossFit experience.

Comment #13 - Posted by: Lisbeth at July 21, 2008 12:26 PM

For those who don't get the gerbil reference by Chris...it's okay (it's an inside thing). I guess you would have had to attended the C2/CrossFit seminar this past weekend...what a blast!

Comment #14 - Posted by: Brian--CrossFit Ramstein at July 21, 2008 12:37 PM

I totally dominated that game of croquet. The subsequent racquet sports...not so much. Some of us were build for hammering and not swatting, I guess.

Thanks to C2, Lisa, and those idiots I was hitting things with for making the weekend a heck of a good time. You guys rock.

Best,

Jon

Comment #15 - Posted by: Jon Gilson at July 21, 2008 12:56 PM

I want to thank C2 for an outstanding weekend! The quality of people making C2 run is amazing, Greg, Tracy, Bruce and My favorite coach kris(sp), you guys rock.
If you would have told me five months ago that I would be taking a weekend retreat to Vermont to scull, play Croquet, hit a Wod or two and throw a few cold ones back, I would have responded to you with a deer in the headlight gaze followed by an abrupt about face and a forward march. Glad I was wrong.

The CF community never ceases to amaze me with the type of solid individuals it has. LL, team Thunder and Lightning, My VBFF and the rest of the affiliates I met this weekend, THANKS!

Cheers,and remember "DON'T FEED THE MONKEYS"
Nick

Comment #16 - Posted by: NICK H CFSD at July 21, 2008 3:15 PM

T, Very inspiring words as usual! After hearing you say that in person at the TX affiliate gathering last month, I was in awe. Your sincerity is real! Thanks for being very supportive.

Comment #17 - Posted by: Grace at July 21, 2008 10:10 PM

Wow, now that I've seen this photo I realized I missed out by going to the rope swing with the others! No, wait, nothing can top seeing Mike Pommerening going from an L-Sit on the rope, launching forward at 50 mph, tucking into a cannon-ball 20 feet in the air, and displacing half the lake!

Seriously, the weekend was so much more than I could have hoped for. A big thanks to Concept2, Angela Hart, and everyone else in attendence. I learned a ton more about the rowers - my confidence in rowing and instructing how to row has vastly improved!

I'm always blown away by the positive vibe that resonates at these types of events. It was great to see some old faces and get acquainted with some new ones! Thanks for the recharge!

Comment #18 - Posted by: Mike Mc at July 22, 2008 8:13 AM

I'll echo the sentiments - C2 treated us like royalty and set the bar SO HIGH for future seminars. Instruction, community, social hours - all top notch. I simply cannot image a better weekend spent with crossFitters and our friends.

If anyone has the chance to get to C2 - GO!! By all means, they are an incredible resource to us and an awesome company.

But be careful if you row with Mike Mc - he catches crabs. (we all did, except Peter - you're in good company!!)

Comment #19 - Posted by: Laurie at July 22, 2008 2:25 PM