September 21, 2007

FRIDAY 070921

Yup, he got it.

JakePlattMupThumb.jpg
Enlarge image

Jake Platt of NorthWest CrossFit got his first muscle up at this past weekend's Portland Cert.

Video: Truck Push from CrossFit Edmonton:
[wmv] [mov]

"23. Make your customer a hero... the practical near term imperative is to make a...Solid Gold Hero...out of the individual who is responsible for buying and using your product or service. Consider: I am not in the "widget selling business". I am in the... Hero Making Business."

-From The Sales25, Tom Peters, Re-Imagine!

Does this apply to training? How? Post thoughts to comments.

Posted by at September 21, 2007 6:39 PM
Comments

Of course it applies to training. Measuring output and making the people with the best numbers heroes is one of the cornerstones of the Crossfit strategy. See Nicole, Josh Everett, etc.

Such hero-making strongly incentivizes elite performance while giving everyone else ideals to strive for.

When I am in the university cafeteria and I don't feel like taking my scale out to measure exactly how many ounces of chicken breast I'm eating, I just think what would Greg Amundson do?

Comment #1 - Posted by: russ greene at September 20, 2007 7:55 PM

Congrats Jake! Nice to see you this past weekend. I'll be by to visit you and Craig again next time I'm near Greenlake.

Comment #2 - Posted by: nadia shatila at September 20, 2007 8:53 PM

Congratulations Jake! It was a pleasure meeting you at the cert, along with so many other great people.

As for today's posted quote:

I think that making a customer feel confident in their purchase is a necessary step towards sales, fitness included. THEY who use your services, THEY are the ones who keep your business going, THEY are your livelihood.
The main distinguishing item, however, is in who is being sold. I have worked in sales before and know many people who have as well. I personally think that sales doesn't change much whether you're selling a pack of batteries or a house. It all comes down to the sales person and the buyer.

Early on in sales I made it a point that I would not sell anything that I wouldn't buy myself. I still fell this way today, and think that it fits perfectly with crossfit. Because it is so diversely applicable, CF is an easy sell.

I know, as a customer, that Crossfit makes heroes because it celebrates people, both as individuals and as communities. Every kip, HSPU, and PR makes us harder, stronger, and faster. It doesn't take long before the person realizes their potential and their confidence shines through. It is at the moment when they realize that they are far more capable of performing feats than they every thought possible, that the hero begins to emerge.

So, to sum up a long post...Making heroes absolutely applies to training. Trainers realize a clients potential and help work them out and push them along until the client is aware as well, and that's when the Hero is made.

Comment #3 - Posted by: Robzilla at September 20, 2007 9:28 PM

excellent, jake...

Comment #4 - Posted by: juan g. at September 20, 2007 10:35 PM

Congrats on the muscleup!

And great vid! Pushing stuff around the parking lot is one hell of a workout.

Comment #5 - Posted by: Anthony Bainbridge & Jodi Arbeau at September 21, 2007 2:53 AM

Well said, Robzilla! I love the way CrossFit makes each person accountable for their own work. You compete against yourself, not anyone else, so you become your own hero. Unlike Globogym twit bunnies that are trying to conform to Flex, Shape, Vogue and MuscleMag "hero" standards.

Pilar

Comment #6 - Posted by: Pilar 32yof/137#/5'7" at September 21, 2007 6:17 AM

The combination of the Tom Peters quote and the picture of Jake getting his first muscle-up is an example of why the creation of heroic effort IS our business. The process of discovery begins with the stark realization of the limits in our abilities-both physical and physiological. From there the athlete gains confidence in overcoming a long list of limiting factors, and with each victory they come away with a sense of progress while gaining an anticipation of further accomplishment. The built-in benchmarks and repeated opportunities for performance improvement (or failure) that Crossfit provides perpetuate a constant need for adaptation, again both physical and physiological.

Before I did my first muscle-up, the “accomplishments” I was achieving were self limiting. Improving my Girl times and lifting more weight were safe challenges. The limiting thought was: “It must be the little guys that can do muscle-ups”, even though I had seen big guys do them.

The muscle-up disturbed my complacency. When I threw down that puppy, I felt like Superman. Now I want to do 95 pound overhead pistols (thanks Crossfit SF).

Our athletes work to test their limits every workout. We are here to help them feel like a Superhero. Nice work Jake!

Comment #7 - Posted by: Michael Pommerening at September 21, 2007 8:16 AM

I believe each time I come in contact with a client I have an obligation to help him or her walk away from the training session or workout feeling a sense of accomplishment. This isn't difficult to do. As had been alluded to, if you apply yourself, all CrossFit workouts can make you feel you've done something special.

I have been taught by my Coach, Jeff Martin, to be certain that my clients walk away having been successful. This sometimes requires me to be extremely creative in helping my clients find the positive in a situation. We all know some days are more frustrating than others. I also try to redirect my clients. For example, if my client is struggling with a lift on a particular day, I will end our session with some crazy difficult workout that I know he or she will walk away saying, "Wow! I can't believe I finished that." This makes our final moments together a cause for celebration and lessens the sting of the earlier struggle, simply by leading him/her into an opportunity to succeed. I would not have thought to word it this way, but I guess what Coach has taught me is to be certain that each time one of my clients exits the gym it is a hero leaving the building.

Comment #8 - Posted by: Cyndi at September 21, 2007 9:22 AM

Thanks! It was a pleasure to meet all of you!
Jake(nwcrossfit)

Comment #9 - Posted by: Jake at September 21, 2007 12:57 PM

I enjoyed meeting you, Jake. I also enjoyed our conversation Saturday evening. Continued success and blessings!

Our profession is all about the client. They deserve to hear me greet them by name and with a warm smile when they walk in the door, and a sincere "Great effort and thank you for coming in today!" when they leave.

Most have been searching for years for us. They've been to every club in the market and have purchased all the gimmicks by dialing a 1-800-steal-from-me and tried ever diet fad known to man.

They have 'Help Me' written on their forehead. They don't really want to be looked at as being lazy, fat, overweight, deconditioned. They don't really want to worry about heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, depression, etc.

They really want to eat healthy but don't know how. I began 4 years ago going into clients homes and looking at the contents of the refrigerator and pantry. Regardless of where they stand on the socio-economical ladder, they don't know what they are eating. They all thought they were eating 'good'. Deceptive marketing, commercials and food labeling keeps them in a state of confusion.

When they find us, they are a little scared and intimated....but they've heard things about us. They know its different, and they've heard it's hard. Some say he even yells at them!

In spite of the fear, they muster up the courage to walk in the door. They've heard, that's all you have to do..walk in the door...your life will change...they promise.

No lies, no deception. After you walk in the door the first time, it is all up to them. They have to keep walking in the door.

They learn how to be a hero of life. A hero to us, their family and their friends.

Comment #10 - Posted by: Skip Chase at September 21, 2007 6:37 PM